The OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, known as one of the pioneers in personalized cancer medicine, is an international leader in research and cancer treatment. Driven by its mission to end cancer as we know it, the institute is building upon its expertise in targeted treatments to advance the early detection of cancer when the disease is most treatable.
An Assistant Staff Scientist in Biostatistics is a PhD member of the Knight Cancer Institute's Biostatistics Shared Resource (Knight BSR). S/he is primarily involved in cancer collaborative research, although s/he can submit her/his grant as the Principal Investigator (PI) given appropriate institutional approval. Assistant Staff Scientists
in Biostatistics have at least 3 years of post-doctoral experience in biostatistics collaboration and consulting. They possess a significant command of biostatistics knowledge in theory and applications. S/he is engaged in collaborative cancer research and shares leadership responsibilities consistent with goals of the Biostatistics Shared Resource of the Knight Cancer Institute. S/he contributes biostatistics methodology and applications at the level comparable to Assistant Professor of Biostatistics or similar rank at other NCI designated cancer centers.
Specifically an Assistant Staff Scientist in Biostatistics is engaged in the following activities of the Knight BSR: (1) providing biostatistics support to concept-stage (pre-award) projects (grant and protocol development); (2) providing biostatistics collaboration by serving as a co-investigator on grants; (3) leading data and biostatistics component of the investigator-initiated cancer clinical trials as a protocol biostatistician; (4) providing mentoring, training and oversight of MS biostatisticians in the Knight BSR; (5) keeping abreast of new data types and statistical methods emerging from new technologies in cancer research (e.g., DNA- and RNA-Sequencing), and; (6) participating in Knight research seminar series and research retreats to be broadly informed of research activities in the Knight Cancer Institute.
Function/Duties of Position
Every Knight Cancer employee in Biostatistics is expected to embody our guiding principles:
- We act BOLDLY-Breakthroughs require pushing the boundaries of science, exploring new frontiers, and thinking differently
- We SUPPORT each other-Respect leads to trust, which leads to excellence
- We work as a CONNECTED team - We must leverage our collective brain power to conquer cancer because no one individual can do it alone
- Provide biostatistics support for concept-stage projects (grant, LOI and protocol development) [# concept stage projects completed]
- Collaborate with Knight Cancer Institute Members by serving as a biostatistician Co-Investigator on grants [%FTE supported by grants, publications]
- Serve on Knight Cancer Institute's research committees (CRRC, DSMC). [Committee memberships and chair's feedback]
- Mentor and coach Biostatistics Associates (MS biostatisticians) in Knight BSR. [Assignment to a mentorship team; one-one meeting with assigned mentees]
- Keep abreast of innovative and cutting-edge statistical methods through attendance at professional conferences, webinars and journal club. [attendance and participation; staff meeting presentation; knowledge sharing]
- Conduct biostatistics methodology research if and when the current methods are inadequate, and if such work is required to support and benefit collaborative research efforts. [statistical publications]
- Doctoral degree in relevant field and 3 years of relevant post-doctoral work experience
- At least 3 years of research experience in the practice of science and team science
- At least 2 years of statistical consulting or collaboration experience in biometric fields
- Familiarity with standard statistical software packages such as SAS and R
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks at one time
- Must have excellent communication, analytical and organizational skills: both written and verbal
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team while being collaborative in resolving problems
- PhD in biostatistics
- 1+ years of cancer research experience
- 3+ years of biostatistics consulting experience
Apply here online. Please be sure to upload a cover letter and Resume or CV.
All are welcome
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posting ID: 552622170Posted: 2020-05-27