The Center for Evidence-based Policy's mission is to address policy challenges with evidence and collaboration, and it excels in partnerships that develop policy solutions and improve health. The Center primarily works with state governments focused on health policy, decision-making and program administration. The Center actively seeks partners who share its commitment to evidence, integrity, innovation, tangible results, and products that are independent, high-quality and effective in meeting the needs of decision makers. The Center is diverse in people and ideas and actively recruits and retains the highest quality personnel who are committed and passionate about achieving its mission. The Center promotes leadership that inspires innovation, motivates people to perform at their highest levels, and makes the Center a great place to work.
Function/Duties of Position
The Research Associate's primary functions are to produce relevant, timely, and actionable rapid reviews and systematic reviews, and conduct data analysis. The evidence synthesis and data analysis products are most often in the area of health services and technologies, with particular applicability to state Medicaid programs. Successful candidates will have knowledge and experience in evidence review methods (e.g. rapid reviews, systematic reviews), which includes topic identification, selected and comprehensive literature searches, study selection, critical appraisal of studies, evidence synthesis, grading the quality of the evidence, and writing and presentation of evidence synthesis products. The Research Associate will work on a variety of projects at the Center. Develop and Write Rapid Reviews, Systematic Reviews, and Other Evidence Synthesis Products
- Research and analyze the context of the question(s) that clients are asking and convert questions into structured, answerable scope statements
- Construct and carry out an appropriate search strategy to address research questions posed by clients
- Identify relevant research studies and clinical practice guidelines and determine their relevance to the research question(s)
- Critically evaluate the internal and external validity of included research studies
- Appropriately assign quality of evidence rating (GRADE) to outcomes for a body of evidence
- Develop interview questions and interview key informants, as needed
- Prepare research, policy, or other types of reports according to Center style guidelines and research methodologies, ensuring accuracy and clarity, and using narrative text, tables, and appropriate illustrations
- Create and manage references in a citation management software program (e.g., EndNote)
- Present research findings to clients via webinar or in-person meeting or conference
- Data Management and Analysis
- Develop scopes of work and outline data analysis plans
- Develop and execute data use agreements with state organizations and agencies
- Obtain, store, and clean large, state-level datasets containing claims, encounter, and administrative data and other data sources
- Provide quality assurance of imported data and work with partner agencies, as needed
- Output descriptive characteristics and reports of cohorts and datasets
- Use multiple statistical approaches, such as univariable and multivariable models, to assess associations between independent and dependent variables
Communication and Dissemination
- Independently track report progress, anticipating next steps, and gather required information from internal and external contacts to produce high-quality, timely reports.
- Respond to peer review and editor comments in a productive and timely manner and adhere to all timelines for projects.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with Center clients, internal and external evidence resources, and a wide variety of state and federal governmental organizations and community groups.
- Represent the Center at selected national and state-level conferences, meetings and other events, preparing materials for distribution and making presentations that effectively communicate research and the Center's goals and mission.
- Master's degree relevant to synthesis of health research or statistics plus 3 years of related experience
- At least 3 years of experience assisting with obtaining and synthesizing health research information and drafting this information into narrative reports and presentations
- At least 3 years of experience with data management and conducting data analysis
- Experience synthesizing evidence for use in decision making
- Experience evaluating systematic reviews and meta-analyses
- Experience working with state-level datasets, particularly state Medicaid claims data
- Experience assessing the quality of a body of evidence and risk of bias
- Experience working with a citation management software application (e.g., EndNote)
- Experience working collaboratively and closely with colleagues on research projects
- Experience presenting research to various audiences, including public sector decision makers
- Experience working on multiple research projects simultaneously with excellent organizational skills
- Ability to translate complex findings into digestible and actionable written research products, and oral presentations
- Exceptional ability to use statistical software programs (e.g., SAS). Excellent writing, grammatical, and proofreading skills
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, Excel), and Outlook
- Ability to respond positively and proactively to peer review and editor comments
- Ability to exercise discretion when dealing with issues of a sensitive nature and to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Ability to interact with a wide variety of stakeholders, including both internal and external customers
- Ability to be self-motivated, prioritize effectively, and achieve deadlines
- MPH or PhD with a concentration in epidemiology or biostatistics
- Significant experience tailoring evidence synthesis products to decision makers
- Experience producing rapid reviews and/or systematic reviews
- Experience evaluating and synthesizing cost-effectiveness literature
- Record of peer-reviewed publication
- Some health policy (local, state, or federal government or equivalent) experience
- Experience working with systematic review applications (e.g., DistillerSR) and statistical software programs (e.g., SAS, SPSS)
- Knowledge of effective and efficient approaches to searches using Cochrane Library, PubMed, Ovid MEDLINE, and skills with Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)
Apply here online. Please be sure to upload a cover letter and a resume or CV.
All are welcome
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or email@example.com.
Posting ID: 552622328Posted: 2020-03-11