How have you impacted someone's life today? At Meridian Health our nursing teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of nursing services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Pharmacy Tech, Ambulatory provides support for the registered pharmacist in the preparation and distribution of medications and works under the immediate personal supervision of a pharmacist. Responsibilities include the filling of orders and maintenance of appropriate supply levels in filling areas. Responsibilities
A day in the life of a Pharmacy Technician, Ambulatory at Hackensack Meridian Health
QualificationsKnowledge, Education and Skills Required:
- Prepares medication orders under the oversight of a registered pharmacist.
- Assists the pharmacist in the maintenance of adequate drug supplies in filling areas and gives notification regarding the need to reorder supplies.
- Assures that the filling areas maintained in a neat and orderly manner.
- Refers requests for drug information to a registered pharmacist.
- Assists the pharmacist in maintaining the security of medication and supplies.
- Provides appropriate documentation wherever and whenever required.
- Assists in maintaining patient medication profiles and records.
- Assist with receiving, filling and selling of prescriptions.
- Checks stock for expired, unusable and excessive items.
- Performs tasks associated with automated equipment and maintains appropriate records as designated.
- Prepare medication compounds according to 'recipe' once ingredients have been checked by the licensed pharmacist
- During each work shift, all ambulatory pharmacy technicians must follow workload procedures directed by the pharmacist on duty
- Assures accuracy and completeness of workflow processes. Ensure all entered orders are verified in a timely manner by the licensed pharmacist
- Ensure all guests/patients receive safe care. Maintain a "safety first" work ethic. Report any medication errors or medication variances as required by policy
- Assist in training new team members
- Assist in managing pharmacy inventory levels including ordering, stocking, repackaging, pulling outdated or short-dated inventory, and return of medications for credit or destruction as required
- Answer telephones in a timely manner and refer calls as necessary. The ambulatory pharmacy technician is the primary pharmacy representative for telephone contacts unless precluded by NJ Statutes limiting the authority of the registered pharmacy technician.(i.e. cannot accept "new" prescription orders)
- Ensure timely processing of prescription orders where renewal authorization is needed by initiating contact and follow-up with prescribing physician as required including processing of prescriptions requiring prior authorization or other third party-related issues
- Maintain refrigerator logs and any and all other logs/reports including end-of-month processing required by the pharmacist in charge
- Maintaining the cleanliness of the pharmacy work area including work surfaces, dispensing machines, counting machines and all pharmaceutical grade manufacturing equipment
- Assuring sufficient quantities of supplies needed in the dispensing process are available including vials, bottles, labels, paper, toners, prescription pads
- Ensure that completed prescriptions and any necessary documentation are filed according to established protocols
- Pickup of prescriptions and delivery of completed prescription orders to patient care areas
- Assist with Controlled Substance Audits and inventories as allowed
- Attend to quality performance assignments
- Assist ambulatory pharmacy department initiatives as needed
- Lifts a minimum of 10 lbs., pushes and pulls a minimum of 40 lbs. and stands a minimum of 4 hours a day.
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.
1. High School diploma or equivalent. Required Certification/Licensing:
1. Valid New Jersey Pharmacy Technician Registration
2. Must recieve national certification within 90 days of hire. Our Network
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.
Posting ID: 552622575Posted: 2020-05-27