DescriptionSAIC is hiring a Mechanical Engineer to work in Sterling Heights, MI !
The Combat Vehicles Engineer is responsible for designing and coordinating engineering aspects associated with the vehicle chassis and turret structures.
Structure Design products include the vehicle hull structures and all structural interfaces (i.e. machining, mounting provisions, welded on brackets, and stiffeners), doors, hatches, access panels, lifting/towing/tie-down provisions, and intake/exhaust grilles. The structures engineer will work with Integrated Product Team members (IPTs) to document and integrate their mechanical interfaces (mounting provisions) onto the vehicle structure.
The structures engineer may also be responsible for hull attachment installations such as lifting, towing/tie down, ramps, hatches, and access panels. The structures engineer will at all times promote and maintain a safe work environment and ensure compliance with all safety rules of the company. In addition, the structures engineer:
QualificationsEDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Provides Engineering Support In Production (ESIP) for transition of new design to production and resolving issues encountered in the build process.
- Investigates root-cause analysis of design issues arising during production and develops the associated change documentation to resolve design issue.
- Works closely with a team of design engineers and other specialty engineers to resolve design issues that span such areas as structures, ballistics, mechanical, and logistics.
- Works closely with Production, Floor Support, Quality, and Procurement to identify root cause of various production and procurement issues and appropriate path forward.
- Prepares white papers, and variance documentation in response to production issues to support vehicle sales.
- Manages change requests received through reports and requests (Vendor Information and Change Requests, Request for Variance) within the delegated scope authority and budget.
- Maintains engineering rigor, documentation and product quality and safety throughout the lifecycle.
- Conceptualizes, creates, and analyzes designs to ensure technical outcomes are consistent with customer and company requirements.
- Performs trade/decision studies to ensure optimum solutions are reached.
- Participates in formal technical reviews.
- Bachelors and five (5) years or more experience; Masters and three (3) years or more experience; PhD and 0 years related experience;
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or closely related degree
- 5+ years of engineering work experience
- Must be experienced using Creo and Windchill software
- Must be organized and have good communication skills
- Must be a self-starter that takes ownership of tasks and drives them to completion
- 10+ years relevant experience
- Experience with Design and Manufacturing of Combat Vehicle Structures
- Experience using CAD for Structure Based Design modeling
- Experience with engineering structures design, prototyping, production and test environments with relevant ground vehicle applications in the defense environment.
- Expert knowledge with PTC's CREO CAD and CREOView computer tools.
- Extensive knowledge/experience with drawings, model and GD&T standards and application.
- Specialized technical knowledge of relevant military and commercial design standards.
- Ability to evaluate and solve medium to high complex technical problems working with program team members and others that require extensive investigation and analysis.
- Conducts effective meetings, discussions and presentations.
- Practices and contributes to corporate, division, and department mission and culture.
- Experience communicating with internal and external customers.
- Experience with military standards and good manufacturing practices.
- Must be a US Citizen and have the ability to obtain Secret clearance.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom. For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Posting ID: 552622756Posted: 2020-05-27