GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT
Receiving general direction from the Security Manager, Supervisor or designee, enforces Hospital regulations, provides a safe and secure environment for Hospital patients, visitors and employees by enforcing Hospital security regulations and by continuously watching for and timely reporting potential safety hazards and unusual occurrences through patrol of assigned areas. Investigates complaints or potential criminal conduct; assists in restraining patients as necessary; provides protective services. Possesses and exhibits extraordinarily strong customer service skills. Under the authority of a special state police license, responsible for the arrest of criminal suspects.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Patrols assigned areas, giving particular attention to those areas where security problems have occurred. Identifies unsafe conditions and improperly secured areas/property to help prevent theft, injuries or damages to Hospital property, patients, visitors and employees. Maintains strict confidentially at all times.
- Investigates thefts, shortages and other complaints involving potential criminal misconduct by questioning individuals involved with specific incidents; notifies appropriate law enforcement agencies of potential/real civil or criminal misconduct and detains suspicious individuals as appropriate; when authorized will make arrests as appropriate; participates in subsequent court proceedings as required. Prepares and submits written reports in a complete and accurate manner; makes notations in log of all incidents; keeps Supervisor informed at all times.
- Maintains accountability for valuables/property and forms of evidence coming into incumbent's custody; ensures safekeeping; maintains documentation.
- Performs as Dispatcher utilizing "state of the art" integrated security systems; radio dispatches personnel to respond to occurrences and phone calls for assistance; provides and maintains documentation.
- Participates in assistance with workplace and domestic victims; responds to medical emergencies; when authorized assists in the restraint of patients; involved in the protection of dignitaries; controls pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- Voluntary participation in diverse departmental committees, task forces and teams. These include but are not limited to "Customer Service," "Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design," "Systems Overview," "Workplace Violence and Prevention," "Infant and Child Protection," "Community Policing," "3Rs (Recruitment, Recognition, Retention)," "Marketing," and "Training."
- Cross trains in other locations beyond normally assigned workplace.
- Ensures all required training is up-to-date and maintains individual data base training records and reports errors to appropriate supervisor or manager.
- Maintains all hospital issued uniforms and equipment.
- Conducts a wide range of customer services.
- May have to work other shifts and/or locations as necessary.
- Other duties as necessary or assigned.
- Responsible for maintaining all hospital issued uniforms and equipment (including but not limited to vehicles, radios, computer equipment, cameras, etc.)
- Physically must be able to lift 50 pounds. Ability to stand/walk for a minimum of 8 hours. Ability to run to any emergency within the hospital and adjoining campuses and be able to verbally and physically control an emergency situation upon arrival if necessary. Strong sight and hearing abilities needed in order to effectively deal with diverse and emergency situations. Ability to use enough force to subdue, arrest or restrain someone if necessary.
- Ability to receive instruction and communicate appropriately while moving to and from emergent situations.
- Ability to withstand adverse weather conditions.
- Exposure to chemicals, blood and hazardous waste materials.
- Ability to assist in evacuation procedures including the use of Med Sleds or comparable equipment from any floor of any MGH building.
- Ability to perform all required practical training components including CPR, MOAB, OC Spray and Handcuffing and physically be able to carry out tasks while on duty if required to do so.
- Each officer must be able to perform each task in the functional assessment outlined below upon hire (within the first 90 days) and annually.
- 3 Minute Step Test
- Measures the heart rate in the recovery period following three minutes of stepping.
- Stand with the step in front of you. Begin by stepping up and down the step in cadence with the metronome. Continue with this exercise for three minutes. Then you will be asked to sit down in and your heart rate will be recorded after one minute of rest.
Qualifications :SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- Step, Bend, and Crawl
- Measures mobility and coordination.
- Stand in front of the hurdle. Start by stepping over the hurdle, bending and crawling under the table, and stepping over the second hurdle. Reverse direction and repeat the sequence.
- Stretcher Carry
- Measures the ability to assist lifting a stretcher.
- You and a partner will stand at either end of the stretcher that is loaded with approximately 150 lbs. in weight. Bend with your legs with your back straight and grasp the stretcher. Straighten your legs to lift the stretcher, then reverse to put the stretcher back down.
- Pull and Drag
- Measures upper body strength
- Take firm hold onto the belts and drag the 150-lb. sled 10 feet across the room and reverse directions back to the starting position.
- Balance Walk
- Measures balance.
- Start at the end of the 1 inch wide tape. When prompted to start, step on the tape, alternating with each foot until you reach the end of the tape. Your foot must be in contact with the tape on each step.
- Stair Climb
- The stair climb measures the ability to climb stairs at a quick pace.
- Starting at the bottom of the stairway, on the command Go, the watch is started and you must walk up four flights of stairs at a quick pace. At the top of the stairs, you will need to take a card and walk quickly down the four flights of stairs to the starting point and return the card to your proctor. You must complete this in 35 seconds or less.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, and/or REGISTRATIONS
- Strong interpersonal and communication and customer service skills. Recognize, acknowledge, respect and effectively interact with people of different ages and cultures, establish positive relationships, gain trust and respect of others. Ability to deal with, and effectively deescalate, anxious/stressed people and manage aggression. Effectively manage a high volume of activity; handle a variety of diverse and stressful situations and crisis management scenarios.
- Works effectively both independently and in teams. Able to multitask.
- Strong problem solving skills. Critical and analytical thinking, good judgment, prioritizing, industrious and creative resolutions for positive outcomes.
- Customer service skills; accessible, energetic, concerned, empathetic, positive attitude, collaborative and flexible. Displays positive image, tact and diplomacy, active listener, articulate.
- Demonstrates the understanding of community policing, risk analysis and crime prevention concepts and practices.
- Professional orientation: attuned to current theory and practices to support performance; pursue personal growth and development
- Strong writing skills to provide and maintain documentation to support data. Intermediate computer skills; typing and use of database software.
- Technology: use of access control and database software, communications equipment, and first aid equipment. Able to trouble shoot systems when necessary.
- MA driver's license or valid driver's license from the state or commonwealth in which the employee resides required
- Special State Police license preferred
- BLS, CPR and First Responder certification required within 120 days of hire
- MOAB certification required within 120 days of hire
- IAHSS basic certification preferred
- High school diploma required
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Field of Study/Additional Specialized Training: Criminal Justice or related discipline, preferred
- Preferred: 3 - 5 years of experience
- Experience in hospital, security/police, emergency medical or customer services preferred
Posting ID: 552624250Posted: 2020-03-11