GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Summarize the nature and level of work performed.
Under the supervision of the attending surgeon staff, provide medical and surgical procedure assistance to surgeons in the office setting who perform specialized venous procedures and/or provide for the perioperative care of the ambulatory surgical patient. Work with venous surgeons and other clinical staff members to ensure a quality and safety-based flow of work. Provide and coordinate efficient turnover of rooms between patients. Provide professional patient interaction while maintaining safe patient care areas. Conform to IAC (venous accreditation organization) standards, recordkeeping, and reporting; ensure medical record standards are followed and follow up with surgeons to include their entries.
Possess knowledge of office based procedures including sterile fields, utilization of specialized procedure equipment, office routines, information systems, as well as understanding of the procedures related to the work of a Medical Assistant II. Knowledge of instrument cleaning and setup. Requires discretion and judgment to organize priorities, complete tasks and handle confidential patient information.
The Vein Care office works cooperatively with other MGH vascular practices in Boston. This position may be required to work at any of the Division of Vascular Surgery sites including Boston and Stoneham as needed. PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Indicate key areas of responsibility, major job duties, special projects and key objectives for this position. These items should be evaluated throughout the year and included in the written annual evaluation. PATIENT CARE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review with surgeon information on scheduled patients prior to clinical session. For venous procedure visit, determine which specialized venous instruments and/or equipment will be needed for performing outpatient treatment procedures..
- Retrieve office charts prior to patient's appointment; ensure that all necessary laboratory and radiological test results and medical records are obtained, from within and outside of MGH, and properly filed prior to patient's office visit; use hospital electronic medical record systems to obtain above information as needed.
- Ensure the flow of patients through the outpatient clinic including taking vital signs, weight, and basic intake information.
- Ensure that patients complete Consent for Surgery or procedure forms where applicable.
- Enter patient-related documentation into electronic medical record (EPIC) to include office/surgical/operative notes, discharge summaries, pathology reports, etc. in an accurate and timely manner.
- Provide patients with time of procedure and reviews any pre-procedure instructions in a courteous and timely manner. Consistently provide patients with copies of instructions for appropriate procedure.
- Under surgeon supervision, set up clinical rooms prior to each patient visit with all needed specialized instruments and equipment for outpatient venous procedures.
- Assist Venous Surgeons before, during and post procedure including dressings and wound care, sterile field and instrument assembly and set up and procedure room organization.
- Coordinate the placement of patients into clinical rooms that have been specifically equipped for the diagnostic assessment and/or treatment needs of each individual patient.
- Closely assist surgeons with specialized outpatient venous procedures. Participation includes patient preparation and positioning, set up and operation of specialized equipment, set up of laser or RF Generator equipment, preparation of topical anesthesia and injection delivery systems, passing instruments to the surgeon, intra-procedure patient monitoring, and post-procedure patient care.
- Complete appropriate patient visit recordkeeping ensuring timely follow-up and billing administration.
- Troubleshoot and documents clinical phone calls; routes to physician.
- Assist in evaluating the quality and care of equipment, instruments and supplies. Actively participates in the Universal Protocol process.
- Perform daily testing and routine maintenance of all specialized instruments and equipment used for diagnostic testing and specialized venous procedures. Schedule and coordinate routine manufacturer servicing of specialized clinical equipment.
- Follow directions by surgeon regarding technical problems that might arise with specialized clinical equipment and seek resolution. Interface with technicians at equipment manufacturers to resolve such problems.
- Assist the practice manager with the coordination of repair of specialized clinical equipment that must be sent back to manufacturers to be fixed including sound packaging and follow-up.
- Perform cleaning and sterilization of all specialized clinical equipment or coordinate same with off-site contract company where applicable.
- Keep track of clinical supply inventories and coordinate the ordering of replacement surgical supply items by the appropriate office support staff in a timely fashion.
- Follow directions from surgeon regarding proper safety procedures for the use of lasers in outpatient treatments, including the use of eye protection for clinicians and patients, documentation of laser treatment parameters, and appropriate use of other laser-related safety gear.
- Effectively engage patients in the testing process with clear explanations and provide appropriate answers to questions; refer complex inquiries to surgeon.
- Measure for compression hose and assist patients in obtaining hose
- Photograph venous patients (pre-and postoperatively) and download, print and file photos in patients charts or into electronic medical records.
- Maintain Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) practice standards, patient recordkeeping, procedure and complication logs, and quality initiative measures in conjunction with venous Medical Director and Practice Manager.
- Demonstrate initiative in self-improvement and increase understanding of medical assisting and office operations to help ensure the smooth operation and efficient functioning of the office. Read, understand, and annually review all unit and institutional policies and procedures relating to the performance of the duties and responsibilities of the Medical Assistant II.
- Perform patient check-in procedures at clinic front desk when requested.
- Operate on-site washing machine to launder blankets and other applicable exam room items.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
MUST be realistic, neither overstated nor understated, and related to the essential functions of the job.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Degree or certificate in medical assistant program required
- Past experience as a medical assistant of 1 - 2 years required, preferably in a hospital or busy physicians practice
MUST be realistic, measurable, objective, and related to the essential functions of the job.
- Comfortable working in an environment where surgical procedures are performed.
- Possess technical skills to assist surgeon with procedures and to prepare and troubleshoot surgical treatment equipment.
- Competent in sterile technique.
- Understanding of medical office procedures sufficient to execute job related tasks
- Ability to communicate and comfort patients undergoing clinical or surgical procedures
- Good organizational skills and able to follow instructions
- Self managed with the ability to work as part of a team
- Able to perform careful and accurate record keeping.
- Proficiency in computer technology and electronic medical record systems; able to perform accurate data entry
- Ability to work with others with diverse backgrounds and personalities.
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing and challenging environment.
- Is knowledgeable and compliant in all hospital, State and Federal regulatory requirements, including hospital policy and procedures (where applicable to the performance of the job), Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
Posting ID: 552624258Posted: 2020-05-27