Job DescriptionJob Title:
Registered Nurse - Ortho/Neuro Unit (up to $10K Sign On Bonus)Job ID:
T11 Nursing StationLocation:
, Altoona PA DescriptionThis position is eligible for a generous sign-on bonus! Whether you're a recent Graduate Nurse looking to launch your nursing career, or a seasoned RN seeking a change, now is your moment to find your place at UPMC!Sign-On Bonus Details (Full Time or Flex Full Time status)• $10,000 sign-on bonus available for nurses with over two years of experience• $5,000 sign-on bonus available for Graduate Nurses and nurses with less than two years of experience*Part Time status positions are also eligible for sign-on bonus at a prorated amount - $5,000 for experienced nurses with over 2 years of experience, and $2,500 for GNs and nurses with less than 2 years of experience
0.7 Flex Full Time Day with rotation
T 11 Ortho/Neuro Department
Union position: SEIU
Tower 11 is a 44 bed, orthopedic, trauma, neurological, medical surgical monitored unit, serving the adult population. We are the unit of choice for patients with orthopedic surgeries, neurological surgeries, fractures, trauma, neurological disorders and medical cases. We are trained in caring for complex fractures and post-operative care of joint replacements.
What makes Tower 11 a special place to work? We have an amazing team of Nurses, Nursing Assistants, Physical Therapists, Physicians, and Case Management, who collaborate to provide exceptional patient care to our diverse patient population.
As a team member on Tower 11, you will enjoy a leadership team that is invested in your growth, a team philosophy and diverse clinical experiences. Come and join our team on Tower 11 to enhance your career. Purpose:
Provides direct and indirect care to patients utilizing the nursing process. Provides leadership for the nursing team, and contributes to the education of a variety of members of the staff and students.Responsibilities:
QualificationsEducation and Formal Training Required:
- Adheres to universal precautions. Identified potential problems and initiates appropriate measures. Identifies environmental factors which deter effective patient care, initiates action, and contributes ideas towards resolution.
- Assessment a. Assesses patient and family needs and documents this information appropriately in the computer or on appropriate form. b. Reassesses patient every eight hours, and, as necessary.
- Completes annual competency validation activities.
- Complies with established occupational exposure policies.
- Demonstrates professionalism in providing patient care.
- Engages the medical staff and other professionals in discussion of patient care problems resulting in mutually developed plans of care.
- Evaluation a.Revises plan of care, as necessary based on daily evaluation of patient. b.Evaluates patient's outcome based on previously defined goals. c.Evaluates and documents the patient's response to care, teaching, and treatment.
- Implementation: a. Utilizes nursing care protocols and standards. b. Carries out and documents procedures according to Hospital Policy. c. Performs technical skills safely and accurately, and demonstrates a working knowledge of equipment. d. Transcribes and implements physicians' orders appropriately. e. Demonstrates knowledge of the physiological basis for the nursing care delivery. f. Demonstrates knowledge of medication and IV therapy administration according to policy. g. Initiates and coordinates health teaching for patients and families/significant other based on individual needs.
- Maintains proficiency and competency in point of care testing as defined in the evaluation criteria established by the laboratory.
- Planning: a.Includes the patient and family/significant other in the formulation of the plan of care. b. Prioritizes patient's needs appropriately. c. Plans, conducts, and documents patient care conferences. d. Maintains a current plan of care for each assigned patient. e. Utilizes appropriate community agencies and other health care professionals in planning care.
- Serves as a consultant to other members of the health-care team.
- Utilizes Bed Management System, Alpha, CPOE, and all other computer systems appropriately,
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Must be a graduate of an accredited School of Nursing, BSN preferred.
- Must hold a current license to practice nursing in the State of Pennsylvania.
- Must satisfactorily complete the Nursing Department's orientation program and probationary period.
- Must complete NIHSS education prior to end of orientation period, if required.
- Experience Required: None, RN experience preferred.
- Must complete the Trauma Nurse Course within one year of hire.
- Must maintain eight stroke and six trauma competencies per year.
- Must attend Trauma Symposium yearly.
- ACLS preferred, BLS required.
- Ortho and or Neuro care experience preferred.
- Current proficiency preferred in skilled initiation and maintenance of IV Therapy in all age levels.
- Previous experience preferred in initiation and maintenance of Intravascular Access devices.
- Knowledge of troubleshooting methods and prior experience in administration of Cathflo for poorly functioning or clotted Central venous lines and ports preferred.
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
- Act 34 Criminal Clearance
- Basic Life Support or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- National Institute of Health Stroke Scale Certification
- Registered Nurse
GN level candidate starting rate - $26.31 (BSN $27.56)
Experienced RN starting rate - starting rate commensurate with experience (BSN differential: $1.25)
When you are ready to take your career to the next level, UPMC Altoona has a RN Career Ladder, which allows you to enhance your practice and receive additional compensation! Ask your recruiter for details! Salary Range:
$0 / hourUnion Position:
For the best application experience, we encourage you to apply for this job from a non-mobile device.