Performs a wide range of tasks, including preparation, set up, service of food items to patients and customers as well as cash handling, stocking and customer service. During periods of coverage, breaks, call outs, etc, will perform short order/grill cooking duties by preparing food items to be served to customers. Follows department standards and policies, established by the production planning system and recording systems as assigned.Essential Responsibilities:
- Primary Role: All foods plated/portioned according to the standards and in the quantities specified on the menu. Prepares protein salads, vegetables, fruits, sandwiches, etc. as needed. Finishes baking of frozen convenience food products.
- Works on the cash register in the cafeteria and ensures accuracy of drawer.
- Maintains and sanitizes work surfaces and equipment under counters, breakfast cart, and service counter after each meal period. Prevents cross contamination of food products. Ensures the proper storage, identification, and temperature of all food products. Maintains the quality and appearance of food items at all times.
- Tastes products, reads menus, estimates food requirements, checks production, and keeps daily records to plan production requirements, requisition supplies, and equipment needs. Complies with all HACCP policies and procedures in accordance to manual and understands and complies with procedures to prevent cross contamination with regards to allergens and diet restrictions.
- Operates all types of food service equipment (turbo chef, induction burners, mixers, slicers, vertical cutters, ovens, grills, steamers, fryers, food processors, etc.) safely, including the safe cleaning, sanitizing and storage of that equipment.
- Some High School required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Six months to one year of food service experience
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- One to three years food production experience in high-volume food service establishment and knowledge of short order/grill procedures.
- Serve Safe certification.
- Allergen Certified or Awareness and/or Alcohol/TIPS Certification.
Physical Nature of the Job:
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.Req ID
Food Service Work-Cafe Svr and Grill FloatState / Province
40 HoursDepartment Description
The Food Services Department is a dynamic place to work where our top priority is serving high quality, delicious food with caring service. We take pride in feeding our patients, visitors and hospital staff members every day while exhibiting our CARES culture of Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Enthusiasm and Service. We strive to reach high levels of satisfaction and measure this through Press Ganey and retail satisfaction surveys. The department works to continuously improve in all areas of our operation and our frontline team members regularly provide solutions to help us succeed. Ensuring food safety and a safe work environment are a central focus for our team and everyone plays a role in achieving positive results.
The position hours within the department vary but operations begin at 5:30 am and end at 11:30 pm 365 days per year. Weekends and holidays are rotated between all staff and everyone is an essential employee expected to arrive for their shifts during emergency essential situations including inclement weather.Zip Code
Day/Evening Employment Status
Full Time Job Category
Nutrition/Food Services Organization
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Department
Food ServicesHours Per Week (for Per Diem enter 1)
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
Posting ID: 552624312Posted: 2020-04-08