Overview Unit Secretary - Intermediate Care Unit PRN/OCC May be asked to work days, nights, holidays, weekends, and/or on/call hours to meet unit needs. Morristown Hamblen Overview:
Morristown-Hamblen Healthcare System has 167 licensed beds and 23 emergency suites. The hospital offers outstanding ancillary services including Laboratory, Radiology and Therapy services. At our Breast Imaging Center of Excellence, women can have their annual mammograms, biopsies, and can meet with a nurse navigator if needed. The Womenu2019s Center offers six newly remodeled labor and delivery suites and has a secure nursery for the care of our newborns. It serves an eight-county region in the Lakeway Area and is equipped with modern technologies and expert staff to provide the best possible patient care. Learn more about our amazing facility at https://www.morristownhamblen.com/. Position Summary:
Provide clerical and secretarial services to the nursing unit. Ability to work every other weekend, and a holiday rotation.
- Performs clerical duties related to procedures such as admission, discharge, transfer, and death.
- Ensures STAT orders are brought to the attention of licensed nursing personnel.
- Transcribes physicianu2019s orders accurately and in a timely manner and notifies consults as ordered.
- Requisitions supplies and equipment, maintenance and repair services, and prepares related forms. Keeps unit stock and equipment inventories at appropriate levels.
- Answers telephone and intercoms; relays and documents messages. Helps to ensure that follow-up to patients request is timely.
- Assists physicians in obtaining reports from lab, radiology, etc.
- Schedules patient tests, diagnostic procedures, and doctors appointments for patients as requested.
- Organizes patient charts in proper sequence. Labels and replenishes all necessary forms.
- Follows all established infection control policies including standard precautions, transmission based isolation precautions, OSHA standards, safety measures and proper body mechanics in performance of job.
- Obtains patient records from other facilities.
- Manages patient flow via flowboard if applicable.
- Assures appropriate discharge disposition in electronic medical records.
- Follows policies, procedures, and safety standards. Completes required education assignments annually. Works toward achieving goals and objectives, and participates in quality improvement initiatives as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
None specified; will accept any combination of formal education and/or prior work experience sufficient to demonstrate possession of the knowledge, skill and ability needed to perform the essential tasks of the job, typically such as would be equivalent to a high school diploma or GED. Preference may be given to individuals possessing a HS diploma or GED. Minimum Experience:
Must be a CNA at the time of hire or
be a HUC I, PCA or CNA with six or more (6+) months of experience at a Covenant Health facility and complete the Covenant Healthu2019s Patient Care Assistant training protocol OR For HUC II working in Cardiac Areas-
completion of Apex modules 1-6 and/or telemetry class completed prior to hire or placement in a HUC II role. Completion of Covenant Health Unit Coordinator Curriculum within 2 weeks of hire required Certification by National Association of HUCs and COPOE training preferred. Licensure Requirement:
External new hires must have CNA certification.