Do you aim high? Are you genuinely helpful? Are you looking for a place where you can make a difference, receive ongoing support and training, and build a rewarding, long-lasting career? Then you may be a good fit for FirstService Residential, North America's foremost property management firm. We're all about our associates, and as we continue to grow, we're looking for even more quality people who share our dedication to doing what's right, improving residents' quality of life, building great relationships and truly making a difference for their clients, their colleagues and themselves. Is that you? If so, we think you should get to know us. Job Responsibilities
Provide strong leadership and management direction on behalf of Board of Directors and First
Service Residential. Key responsibility is to oversee the entire operation and consistently
adhere to and execute the mission and vision of the Board and community. Manager position
has oversight of all aspects related to the business and operations of the community. The
purpose of this role is to create a single point of contact in the community, enhance
communication and create effective oversight of staff and operations. Manager has the sole
duty of the day-to-day operations, legal compliance and overall oversight of the association and
staff. Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The job duties listed are typical examples of the work performed by positions in this job
classification. Not all duties assigned to every position are included, nor is it expected that all
positions will be assigned every duty.
- Provide leadership and direction in the development of short-term and long-range plans.
Develop recommendations for goals and action plans to achieve Board objectives. Lead
annual goal setting.
- Review organization structure, job descriptions, and functions. Make recommendations to
the Board as to any potential changes.
- Partner with public, private and volunteer organization to provide community services when
- Support the activities of the various Board sub-committees.
- Knowledge of all Community Governing documents. Provide recommendations on
- Continual process of seamless connection between the Board of Directors and committees.
- Provide community leadership and guidance to ensure that the needs or desires of the
homeowners are being addressed.
- In partnership with the Board, create, or cause to be created, and implement the annual
working budget, subject to approval by the Board of Directors.
- Monitor and report on the monthly financial position of the association.
- Provide leadership to each meeting involving the Board of Directors in terms of agenda
support and written and oral reports. Summarize the priorities of each meeting with
appropriate follow up.
- Recruit, hire, train and supervise all community staff in accordance with the documented
management plan, if applicable.
- Work closely with local emergency organizations to maintain established emergency and
community evacuation plans as appropriate.
- As appropriate, confer with other departments, divisions and outside agencies, including
community groups and organizations. Identify, develop and implement programs to meet
- Assess and monitor community needs: identify opportunities for improving service delivery
methods and procedures and developing new programs. Implement programs or
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings. Stay abreast of new trends and
innovations in fields of community management and community programming.
- On-site visibility throughout the common areas and facilities.
- Understanding of all agreements for corporate implementation.
- Ensure adherence to master calendar, maintenance calendar, association budgets and
- Review corporation policies on an ongoing basis to ensure compliance with civil code,
declaration and other requirements of governing institutions.
- Perform building inspections of interior and exterior of property and prepare action plan for
- Shall at all times ensure due diligence for the protection of client's funds, property and
assets against all reasonably foreseeable contingencies or losses. Additional Duties & Responsibilities
- Practice and adhere to FirstService Residential Global Service Standards.
- Conduct business at all times with the highest standards of personal, professional and
- Perform or assist with any operations as required to maintain workflow and to meet
schedules. Notify supervision of unusual equipment or operating problems and the need for
additional material and supplies.
- May participate in any variety of meetings and work groups to integrate activities,
communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specified level of
knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements, policies, and regulatory
- Ensure all safety precautions are followed while performing the work.
- Follow all policies and Standard Operating Procedures as instructed by Management.
- Perform any range of special projects, tasks and other related duties as assigned.
On-site staff where applicable Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Business or related field from an accredited college or university,
and three years experience in Property Operations, Hospitality or Construction; or
equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have any state specific
certifications and licenses or they are preferable of not required by the state.
- A minimum of seven years of successful community management experience or
equivalent professional experience in a related field, with at least 4 of those years
responsible for a staff with a variety of expertise, background and job assignments.
- Management experience in a small or medium-sized organization including responsibility
for more than one functional department or division preferred.
- Understanding of physical building management, Condominium law, financial planning
and law affecting property management.
Knowledge, Skills & Proficiencies
- Valid Driver's License and State Mandated Vehicle Insurance
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or
- Is committed to continual learning as evidenced by attendance at industry programs and
industry and educational opportunities that enhance interpersonal skills.
- Display strong written skills and publish appropriate documentation as directed to create
the legacy for the corporation; particularly in the area of operations, and relationship
- Directly interact with the staff of the association/community and the designated Board of
Directors within the governance model for the purpose of advisement and ultimate
implementation of Board directives.
- Possess budgetary knowledge and control for the purpose(s) of executing programs
within the community as well as related activities that may be cost-shared for the benefit
of the community.
- Display a community posture that positively represents the vision of the
- Effectively communicate so as to instill confidence in the homeowners that reside within
the community as well as the public that may interact through designated programs.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Applications, especially Word and Excel
- Must be goal minded and possess a self-starting drive to get the job done.
- Ability to listen to others, collaborate, and resolve conflict.
- Protect the confidential nature of the work as appropriate
- Executive decision-making capabilities.
- Demonstrates good client interaction and visibility.
- Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills.
- Organizational and time management abilities with the ability to implement and monitor
progress for successful completion; working well under pressure and deadlines.
- Excellent problem solver; demonstrates ability to use creative alternatives.
- Has a working knowledge of legislation impacting property management.
- Works effectively with coworkers, clients, customers, and others by sharing ideas in a
constructive and positive manner; addresses problems and issues constructively to find
mutually acceptable and practical business solutions.
Tools & Equipment Used
- Strong ethical practices.
Computer and peripherals, standard and customized software applications and tools, and usual
office equipment. Physical Requirements / Working Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to lift 25lbs.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to communicate both on the phone and in person with our clients in order to resolve issues and manage the business.
- Must have finger dexterity for typing/using a keyboard.
- Must be mobile enough to move around both the office in order to make copies, send mail and faxes and to walk around the property. This could include lengthy walks on uneven areas.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors, and other associates.
The work environment characteristics are normal office conditions at an onsite community.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. Hours over and above normal office hours will occur, including evenings,
holidays, and some weekends. Schedule is subject to change based on business needs. Travel
Occasional travel to Regional offices for meetings may be requiredDisclaimer
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. This is not an all inclusive job description; therefore, management has the right to assign or reassign schedules, duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.