Job DescriptionJob Title:
Registered Nurse - Neuro Progressive Care UnitJob ID:
, Altoona PA Description
This position is eligible for a generous sign-on bonus! Whether you're a recent Graduate Nurse looking to launch your nursing career, or a seasoned RN seeking a change, now is your moment to find your place at UPMC!
Sign-On Bonus Details (Full Time or Flex Full Time status)
• $10,000 sign-on bonus available for nurses with over two years of experience
• $5,000 sign-on bonus available for Graduate Nurses and nurses with less than two years of experience
*Part Time status positions are also eligible for sign-on bonus at a prorated amount - $5,000 for experienced nurses with over 2 years of experience, and $2,500 for GNs and nurses with less than 2 years of experience
.9 full time, 7a-7p/7p-7a rotation (36 hours/week)
7E - Neuro Progressive Care Unit
Union position: SEIU
UPMC Altoona is hiring a Registered Nurse to help support its 7E Neuro Progressive Care Unit! NPCU is a 24-bed progressive care unit that specializes in the care of Stroke and Neuro patients. NPCU staff are trained to care for all types of progressive care patients and is the only unit outside of the ICU specially trained to care for post-interventional/diagnostic neurology patients. Our team works closely with our Stroke Neurologist and Stroke Quality team to ensure all patients receive exceptional care.
Our Neuro Progressive team consists of highly trained Registered Nurses, Patient Care technicians, Unit Secretaries, Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapists, Case Managers, and Social Workers that are dedicated to patient experience and high-quality care.
As a team member on 7E, you have the ability to self-schedule and work with a leadership team that supports your work/life balance along with your professional growth. You will provide direct and indirect care to patients utilizing the nursing process, leadership for the nursing team, and contribute to the education of a variety of members of the staff and students.Responsibilities:
QualificationsEducation and Formal Training Required:
- Implementation:a. Utilizes nursing care protocols and standards.b. Carries out and documents procedures according to Hospital Policy.c. Performs technical skills safely and accurately, and demonstrates a working knowledge of equipment.d. Transcribes and implements physicians' orders appropriately.e. Demonstrates knowledge of the physiological basis for the nursing care delivery.f. Demonstrates knowledge of medication and IV therapy administration according to policy.g. Initiates and coordinates health teaching for patients and families/significant other based on individual needs.
- Engages the medical staff and other professionals in discussion of patient care problems resulting in mutually developed plans of care.
- Utilizes Bed Management System, Alpha, CPOE, and all other computer systems appropriately,
- Assessmenta. Assesses patient and family needs and documents this information appropriately in the computer or on appropriate form.b. Reassesses patient every eight hours, and, as necessary.
- Planning:a.Includes the patient and family/significant other in the formulation of the plan of care.b. Prioritizes patient's needs appropriately.c. Plans, conducts, and documents patient care conferences.d. Maintains a current plan of care for each assigned patient.e. Utilizes appropriate community agencies and other health care professionals in planning care.
- Evaluationa.Revises plan of care, as necessary based on daily evaluation of patient.b.Evaluates patient's outcome based on previously defined goals.c.Evaluates and documents the patient's response to care, teaching, and treatment.
- Adheres to universal precautions.Identified potential problems and initiates appropriate measures.Identifies environmental factors which deter effective patient care, initiates action, and contributes ideas towards resolution.
- Complies with established occupational exposure policies.
- Completes annual competency validation activities.
- Maintains proficiency and competency in point of care testing as defined in the evaluation criteria established by the laboratory.
- Demonstrates professionalism in providing patient care.
- Serves as a consultant to other members of the health-care team.
• Must hold a current license to practice nursing in the State of Pennsylvania
• Must satisfactorily complete the Nursing Department's orientation program and probationary period.
• Must complete NIHSS education prior to end of orientation period, if required.
• Experience Required: None
• CCRN is required within two years of hire date.
• Must complete the Trauma Nurse Course within one year of hire if required.
• Must maintain eight stroke competencies per year if required.
• ACLS preferred, BLS required. PALS for specific units.Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hireAdvanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)Registered Nurse (RN)Act 34UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
GN level candidate starting rate - $26.31 (BSN $27.56)
Experienced RN starting rate - starting rate commensurate with experience (BSN differential: $1.25)
When you are ready to take your career to the next level, UPMC Altoona has a RN Career Ladder, which allows you to enhance your practice and receive additional compensation! Ask your recruiter for details! Salary Range:
$0 / hourUnion Position:
For the best application experience, we encourage you to apply for this job from a non-mobile device.