Under the general direction of the Georgetown Community Hospital Chief Nursing Officer, performs a major role in triaging transfers to the Central Kentucky LifePoint hospitals and evaluating appropriate discharge placement for swing bed patients.
Provides clinical guidance, in relation to prioritization of transfers from transferring facilities to bed assignments at receiving facilities. Participates in all adult inter-facility transfer calls; manages and facilitates transfer once medical acceptance established. Communicates effectively with referring facilities and receiving facilities; establishes patient condition/acuity, determines if transfers are appropriate for specific facility; provides update on timeliness of transfer.
Assists in meeting the psychosocial and medical needs of patients and provisions of discharge planning services to patients assuring timely discharge and effective post-hospital care for UK patients to Central Kentucky LifePoint Hospitals. Position is based at the University of Kentucky to facilitate development of relationships with all UK Case Managers and Social Workers which will in turn promote transfers to LifePoint facilities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Maintains accurate records of transfer calls
- Develops data collection tools for performance improvement projects as needed.
- Works with medical service line representatives and management to develop protocols and procedures to increase throughput efficiency while maintaining patient safety.
- Participates in performance improvement activities related to capacity management to increase both internal and external customer satisfaction.
- Requires knowledge of Case Management policies and procedures and State and Federal regulations regarding medical necessity for admission and discharge screens.
- Knowledge of community resources and discharge planning, along with the technical skills necessary to demonstrate alternative care programs to patients and their families.
- Frequent interactive, interpretive and consultative associations are inherent to this position.
- The ability to retrieve, communicate and present data and information verbally and in written form is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with patients, families, nursing staff, physicians, associations and community resource liaisons are inherent to this position.
- Performs assessment of patient's needs, plans interventions with objectives and goals from the assessment with implementation of case management activities to meet them.
Demonstrates knowledge of Infection Control guidelines and the following of the seven safety plans: safety, security, hazardous materials and waste, emergency preparedness, life safety, medical equipment, and utility systems. Qualifications :
Education requirement: Associate Degree required/ Bachelor Degree Preferred.
Professional Licensure: KY RN
Experience Required: 3-5 years clinical experience
1-2 years Case Management
Promoted from: No formal line of promotion
Promoted to: No formal line of promotion
Supervised by: Case Management Director/CNO
Personnel Supervised: None