Responsible for the daily operations of the Laboratory Sections including their specialized areas but not limited to (Chemistry, Coagulation, Hematology, Blood Bank, Urinalysis, Microbiology) in the Clinical Laboratory including staff performing testing and reporting test results. Performs all duties of a medical technologist while maintaining policies and procedures, quality indicators, and quality control in the Clinical Laboratory.
1. Performs and evaluates a variety of technical procedures with precision and accuracy.
2. Supervises and coordinates the operations of the department and administers policies and procedures to provide direction to effectively manage the laboratory services.
3. Ensures processes and systems are efficient and cost-effective, staffing levels are appropriate and delivers quality services while meeting financial/productivity thresholds.
4. Remains current on regulatory, legal and corporate expectations and ensures compliance.
5. Maintains policies and procedures to provide direction and effectively manage the Laboratory.
6. Prepares, participates in and is responsible for department achieving accrediting reviews (JCAHO, CAP, CLIA, etc)
7. Monitors overall supply usage and inventory levels to achieve cost containment goals and targeted inventory turns.
8. Oversees department maintenance/safety.
9. Directs the training of laboratory staff and laboratory affiliated students to ensure that they are trained to deliver quality services.
10. Maintains knowledge regarding the duties and responsibility of all persons working in assigned department, so they are able to offer expert advice, guidance, training etc. to assist staff members in performing their jobs and assist directly, when necessary.
11. Utilizes and teaches accepted procedures and techniques for processing, testing, quality control and troubleshooting with the aid of automated, semi-automated and/or manual methodologies.
12. Ensures laboratory competency in performance and reporting of proficiency testing by maintaining and reporting appropriate documentation of data as required by accrediting agencies and hospital policy.
13. Performs all duties of a medical technologist including the ability to function in all areas of the clinical laboratory (that they are competent in): blood bank, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, serology/immunology, phlebotomy, drug screen collections.
14. Interacts with other members of laboratory leadership to ensure services of the departments managed are effective in meeting goals, objectives and budget targets.
15. Actively participates in meetings, committees and projects.
16. Meets annual expectations for attendance at Ethics, Forums, department meetings and other required training/workshop sessions
17. Takes initiative for self-development and responds professionally to feedback from supervisor to enhance performance
18. Monitors quality indicators and recommends improvements in department processes and procedures and actively participates in establishing, implementing and monitoring quality management/ performance improvement programs.
19. Provides administrative staff with periodic reports of quality indicators.
20. Participates in Quality Management meetings and improvement projects.
Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology, Chemistry, Biology or other health science field.
Certification as a Medical Technologist or Medical Laboratory Scientist by the ASCP or equivalent agency.
Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of general laboratory theory and practice, and apply these skills in clinical and managerial situations.
At least five years' experience in clinical laboratory techniques including Blood Bank comparable to those performed in this laboratory.
Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of general laboratory and Blood Bank specific theory and practice and apply these skills in clinical and managerial situations.
Posting ID: 552625931Posted: 2020-05-27