Duties include but are not limited to the following: Meeting demands and completing work orders in a timely manner; installing, repairing and fabricating items and components out of metal and various materials; assists other trades personnel as may be required for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities, while ensuring safety as well as resolving immediate safety concerns. Must be able to work weekends and over time as required. Other duties as assigned.
Core Responsibilities Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
65% involvement with fabrication of required plant supporting equipments and associated systems to improve operational efficiency & safety of plant processing capabilities.
10% Complete corrective maintenance work orders, preventive maintenance work orders.
10% Assist other crafts personnel with equipment repairs and troubleshooting
5% Food safety, Health safety, & technical training to employees
5% Daily staff meeting with maintenance supervisor, management, & associates detailing plant operations, improvements, projects, etc.
5% Assists parts manager in insuring an adequate supply of metal stock is maintained. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions
- High School Grad or GED Required
- At least 2 years of responsible metal fabrication experience.
- Sanitary / purge welding experience with stainless steel, light gauge materials highly preferred.
- Operate equipment used in welding and metal fabrication including band saws, grinders, break, shear, drill press, chop saw, plasma cutter etc.
- Planning and managing assigned projects.
- Preparing and maintaining accurate records.
- Adhering to safety practices.
- TIG, MIG, Purge Welding, and Brazing
- Ability to visualize a project from start to finish.
- Use of all metal working equipment.
- Mechanical systems - air, hydraulic.
- Knowledge of USDA, HACCP, OSHA, & EPA Regulations
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment & Physical Demands The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits