Paper Mill Manager - Roanoke Rapids, NC
100 Gaston RD
Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina, 27870
United States The opportunity:
Responsible for managing the Paper Mill Department that includes two Paper Machines, Stock Prep, Finishing and Shipping. Responsible for all activities in the department including safety, environmental, quality & customer satisfaction, cost, production, maintenance planning, financial budgets & results, capital project support, people development, and employee & labor relations.How you will impact WestRock:
- Safety - Lead safety systems and processes that support achieving our continually improving annual goals.
- Assure a safe, engaged and highly motivated workforce by providing role modeling and leadership in safety and environmental efforts; communicating safety consistently, accountability while providing fair and equal treatment.
- Environmental - Lead department environmental management systems to ensure compliance and environmental stewardship while working closing with the Roanoke Rapids Mill Environmental Department
- Quality/Customer Satisfaction - focus on the "no fail basics" of quality and service coupled with innovation to provide winning solutions to our customers
- Cost - Develop and maintain methods for tracking and reducing chemical and operational costs.
- Production - Optimize paper machine schedules to maximize the mill's production while continually increasing Paper Machine uptime % and productivity while reducing off quality.
- Financial Budget/Results - Work closely with Mill Controller and Leadership team to develop budgets and analyze financial results to look for opportunities for improving mill profitability
- Capital Execution - Provide input to capital projects from inception through completion.
- Strategic Planning - Initiate and facilitate improvement projects within the department focusing on strategic initiatives to reduce cost, increase productivity and/or improve quality
- People Development - Invest in our People to help them develop and operate at their full potential
- Employee/Labor Relations - Build positive relations based on the WestRock culture of trust, respect and empowering employees to always do the right thing.
What you need to succeed:
- Create an environment of mutual respect and trust for our co-workers and customers
- Empower and engage co-workers to improve our safety and productivity and lower our cost to produce
- Satisfy our customers every time
- Do the right thing for WestRock - always
- High sense of urgency
- Attention to detail; develop and follow Standard Operating Procedures and processes to reduce human errors
B.S. Degree with 10 plus years of Paper Mill experience or equivalent combination of education and experience with at least 5 years at the Paper Machine Superintendent or above level
General understanding of mill-wide operations and interdependency.
Understands the WestRock Quality Policy and Environmental Policy.
Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively with all levels of the organization.
Must be able to clearly define objectives and be effective in involving others in the
achievement of those objectives.
Must be dedicated to continuous improvement in the paper mill department in all areas, but with special emphasis on safety, quality, environment, production, and cost.
Must be a strong leader with demonstrated skills in interpersonal skills, customer service, communication and high sense of urgency and attention to detail
Must work well in Teams, both as a Team Leader and Team MemberTechnical Skills:
• Competent in Microsoft Office - Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word. Project
• Plant Information System - PI - Process Book, PARCview, Proficy experience is preferred
• Knowledge of DCS (Distributed Control System)
• Ability to learn proprietary software programsAdditional Preferred Qualifications:
Understanding of Box Plant Corrugator operation
Customer visits and/or interaction experience
Lean, Six Sigma certificationsWhat we offer:
Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.