Paper Machine Superintendent - Charleston, SC
4530-Charleston Paper Mill
5600 Virginia Ave
North Charleston, South Carolina, 29406
United States Career Opportunity:
The Paper Machine Superintendent is responsible for managing the safety, reliability, cost, quality, productivity, and employee engagement in a goal-oriented environment. The position is responsible for one or more paper machines for all shifts and reports to the Paper Mill Manager. How you will impact WestRock:
- Safety - Lead safety systems and processes that support achieving our continually improving annual goals.
- Assure a safe, engaged and highly motivated workforce by providing role modeling and leadership in safety and environmental efforts; communicating safety consistently, accountability while providing fair and equal treatment.
- Environmental - Lead department environmental management systems to ensure compliance and environmental stewardship while working closing with the Roanoke Rapids Mill Environmental Department
- Quality/Customer Satisfaction - focus on the "no fail basics" of quality and service coupled with innovation to provide winning solutions to our customers
- Cost - Develop and maintain methods for tracking and reducing chemical and operational costs.
- Production - Optimize paper machine schedules to maximize the mill's production while continually increasing Paper Machine uptime % and productivity while reducing off quality.
- Financial Budget/Results - Work closely with Mill Controller and Leadership team to develop budgets and analyze financial results to look for opportunities for improving mill profitability
- Capital Execution - Provide input to capital projects from inception through completion.
- Strategic Planning - Initiate and facilitate improvement projects within the department focusing on strategic initiatives to reduce cost, increase productivity and/or improve quality
- People Development - Invest in our People to help them develop and operate at their full potential
- Employee/Labor Relations - Build positive relations based on the WestRock culture of trust, respect and empowering employees to always do the right thing.
What you need to succeed:
- Create an environment of mutual respect and trust for our co-workers and customers
- Empower and engage co-workers to improve our safety and productivity and lower our cost to produce
- Satisfy our customers every time
- Do the right thing for WestRock - always
- High sense of urgency
- Attention to detail; develop and follow Standard Operating Procedures and processes to reduce human errors
What we offer:
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills essential
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent troubleshooting skills (technical and other)
- Excellent planning, organizational, time management and prioritization skills
- Proficient computer skills (including MS Office)
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 5-7 years of related experience within the paperboard industry (preferably in a union environment)
Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
Posting ID: 552776010Posted: 2020-05-21