As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem-solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a "Great College to Work For" for six consecutive years.
UW Medicine Advancement has an excellent opportunity for an Associate Director of Digital Communications.
UW Medicine includes Harborview Medical Center, Northwest Hospital & Medical Center, UW Medical Center, Valley Medical Center, UW Neighborhood Clinics, UW Physicians, the UW School of Medicine and Airlift Northwest. Of the $683.7 million in gifts and private grants raised in FY19 by the University of Washington, UW Medicine raised $307.3 million (45 percent of the University's total) in gifts and private grants from nearly 17,000 donors. The University of Washington is in the final year of a multi-billion-dollar campaign, during which UW Medicine has currently raised over $2.4 billion.
The Associate Director, Digital Communications develops and implements communications and marketing strategies across multiple digital platforms to engage current and future donors, alumni, volunteers and other stakeholders in support of UW Medicine Advancement's fundraising goals. This position is responsible for strategy, implementation, and measurement of UW Medicine Advancement's website properties, email communications, social media presence, digital advertising, and analytics. The Associate Director for Digital Communications also creates digital content and works collaboratively to ensure UW Medicine Advancement's message and brand is amplified through internal and external partners.
Website Strategy and Management (25%):
• Oversee all aspects of Advancement website properties (three main properties and an internal site), continually evaluating ways to improve content, UX, performance, search engine optimization (SEO), and design.
• Lead and project manage site redesigns, refreshes, rebuilds, and other technology solutions, working effectively with internal and external partners to complete projects on time.
• Create pages and microsites for special events and campaigns.
• Publish content, build webpages, create web forms, and install plugins.
• Set performance goals and prepare regular reports on website analytics.
Social Media and Digital Advertising (25%):
• Develop and execute social media strategy for UW Medicine Advancement to drive awareness, stewardship and engagement.
• Build relationships with social media managers throughout UW Medicine and the broader University, as well as with partner organizations to amplify UW Medicine Advancement content and messages.
• Identify and listen to relevant social communities and design engagement strategies targeting these populations.
• Work with ad buyer to design and implement high-ROI digital advertising strategies and campaigns.
• Manage advertising spend, shifting resources as needed for maximum impact.
Email Marketing (25%):
• Build, send, and measure all mass email communications for the office.
• Continually test variables and provide guidance to teams on strategy, content, layout, and approaches to improve their results.
• Coordinate with the data management team to pull lists, track email engagement, and identify opportunities to reengage audiences.
• Design and implement automated email campaigns, continually monitoring and adjusting strategies to improve results.
• Work with UW's Marketo team to build new templates, troubleshoot and ensure maximum use of Marketo's capabilities.
Strategy, Planning, and Coordination (25%):
• Serve as a communications team liaison for specific fundraising teams and projects, developing and overseeing comprehensive digital-first communications and marketing plans in support of fundraising goals.
• Collaborate with colleagues to create and implement digital communications plans for their programs and initiatives.
• Coach and train colleagues on effective digital content creation and website tools and technologies, ensuring an effective balance between decentralized vs. centralized content management.
• Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
Information and Technology: Leverages technology to further the strategic goals of the office. Adept at the technology tools, software, coding and data systems required to accomplish work. Keeps current on emerging technologies, changes in systems, and new applications as pertinent to position. Utilizes electronic resources securely; protects all data, electronic or otherwise, from vulnerability.
Nonprofit Writing and Communications for Digital Media: Understands the elements of successful donor-centric communications and how digital content can best engage donors.
Results Orientation: Gets things done well and on-time. Prioritizes goal setting, tracking and reporting. Develops strategies, measures for success and feasible timelines for successful project implementation and execution. Anticipates market trends and effectively facilitates and manages processes. Seeks out feedback and models a growth mindset.
Innovation and Creativity: Generates new and unique ideas and solutions. Demonstrates innovative and creative thinking processes. Actively and persistently finds solutions to barriers that hinder results. Looks for and creates opportunities to expand impact.
Collaboration: Able to break down silos, build trust and maintain positive and effective professional relationships with colleagues. Actively contributes as a member of working teams to achieve results. Listens for understanding, assumes positive intent and identifies solutions to barriers or conflict. Has a poised, professional manner with the ability to express oneself clearly and empathetically in interactions with others in all forms of communications, i.e. verbal and written, one-on-one and group, etc.
Accountability: Takes responsibility and ownership for the process, the product and the results. Accepts responsibility for mistakes. Actively seeks and accepts feedback. Identifies missing skills or areas for growth and proactively seeks to build capacity. Holds self accountable for delivering on commitments and renegotiates when needed and appropriate.
Promotes Diversity and Inclusiveness: Respects, supports and contributes to the UW's commitment to inclusiveness and diversity, ensuring that UW Medicine Advancement's communications reflect that.
Strategic Thinking: Ensures a clear purpose and vision behind digital communications efforts that align with the UW Medicine Advancement's goals. Recognizes and seizes opportunities. Identifies a thoughtful path forward when faced with ambiguous or complex problems and situations. Draws upon past experiences and nuanced understandings of the situation and stakeholders to formulate recommendations.
Bachelor's degree in communications or marketing and four to five years of relevant and increasingly responsible experience.
• Demonstrated experience managing websites, social media channels, social and search advertising, and email marketing.
• Experience managing website redesigns/rebuilds, building webpages, installing and maintaining plug-ins and managing developers.
• Proven experience developing and implementing strategic communications plans for digital channels, digital content strategies and marketing metrics and measurement.
• Strong writing skills and understanding of the principles of donor-centered fundraising writing, storytelling and messaging.
• Ability to understand, interpret, and summarize complex medical research and scientific information.
• Demonstrated experience with organizational proficiency and project management, including the ability to prioritize concurrent deadlines and overlapping tasks.
• Must be able to work in a team environment as well as independently.
• Must be flexible in a fast-paced setting and able to work under deadline pressure.
• Must be self-motivated with a positive attitude.
• Must be able to work professionally with multiple and diverse constituencies.
• Demonstrated creativity and strong attention to detail.
• Ability to make decisions in ambiguous situations.
• Ability to exercise good judgment based on information and analysis in a fast paced, dynamic, deadline-driven environment in an organized and professional manner.
Equivalent education and/or experience may substitute for minimum requirements.
• Understanding of SEO, UX, Google Ads, remarketing and tracking tools (tracking codes, campaign URL builders).
• Knowledge of development/advancement/alumni relations principles.
• Knowledge of healthcare fundraising practices.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Must be able to attend occasional evening and weekend meetings and events.
• Must have regular, reliable transportation for local travel and be willing to travel when necessary.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select "Apply to this position". Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your "My Jobs" page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for this job