As part of our FS/QA team, you would conduct routine sanitation checks, ensuring that HAACP and USDA regulations are strictly enforced. Providing technical expertise to track product from start to finish, and develop corrective actions when needed. You will be responsible for ensuring that we are able to safely deliver the best Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan's Famous, or any of our product brands to customers and consumers.
This position assists the Food Safety Department to ensure the food safety system at the plant is properly documented and implemented - thus ensuring USDA regulatory compliance and the production of safe and wholesome meat products.
Core Responsibilities HACCP Programs and Food Safety
USDA Regulatory Requirements
- Assists in development, implementation and compliance with HACCP programs that support the safe handling of food by recording and analyzing critical control point records that track product through the plant ensuring the safety of food products at all times.
- Properly review and scrutinize all aspects of the food safety system and meat production processes.
- Ensure the USDA regulatory requirements for Food Safety are met.
- Assist with revisions and update food safety programs and procedures including the annual reassessment of all programs.
Food Safety Deficiencies
- Conducts pre-operation sanitation checks to ensure all pre-operation sanitation has been done correctly.
- Determines need for re-sampling of equipment and communicates information to sanitation and plant personnel. Conducts follow up to ensure the sampling was properly completed.
Leadership and Expertise
- Communicates findings regarding food safety deficiencies to Plant Food Safety Manager and provides feedback and recommendations.
- Assists with the training to plant employees regarding food safety deficiencies and corrective actions as needed.
- Provides technical guidance regarding food safety and sanitation to plant personnel.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
- In the absence of key personnel the employee's supervisor or qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee's duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of all required tasks and responsibilities.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED), required
- Associate's degree, preferred
- Ability to create, revise and interpret technical documents such as quality specifications, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Knowledge and understanding of quality assurance principles, food science and meat processing
- A high level of technical expertise, ownership and practical knowledge of all Quality Assurance and regulatory programs
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to use exposure monitoring equipment, interpret and communicate results
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Ability to work on the internet, Spreadsheet, Presentation and Word Processing software
- Comprehensive experience and understanding of USDA Rules and Regulations
- Ability to uphold regulatory, company, and customer standards
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Work Environment & Physical Demands The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 43,000 U.S. team members and 16,000 European employees are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.
" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield
and Nathan's Famous
, among many others. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by law.