At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking an experienced Sr Principal Mechanical Engineer (Systems Engineer) to support OmegA Programs, Launch Operations and Infrastructure team in our Cape Canaveral, Florida office.
The Sr Principal Mechanical Engineer reports to the Launch Operations and Infrastructure Chief, with primary responsibility for non-recurring development and recurring operations of launch vehicle processing and site infrastructure. This position involves all aspects of launch program planning, budgeting, execution and management. The candidate must possess aerospace experience and strong leadership skills to generate and document system level launch vehicle and ground support requirements; to support KSC facilities and infrastructure, flight hardware support; to execute vehicle assembly and testing, payload and mission integration, launch preparations, countdown and launch, flight recording and reporting, and post-launch activities; to help guide and motivate a multi-disciplinary team of mechanics, technicians, quality, planning and production and other support personnel; and to drive operational performance, efficiency and an uncompromising safety culture. Other responsibilities include system performance assessments, system level verifications, facilitating data review activities, system operations and maintenance, leading problem and failure investigations. The candidate will work in a collaborative environment with limited oversight from senior management. The position requires frequent interaction with NASA, US Air Force and commercial payload customers, as well as direct communication with Northrop Grumman program management.
• Recurring program/project planning and operations procedure development
• Lead development of system requirements, design, and integration of mechanical systems.
• Logistics operations, mission planning and production of integrated launch vehicle and payload(s), coordination with stage and flight element production and delivery in Utah, Arizona, Maryland, Mississippi and California
• Program operations detailed scheduling and coordination through KSC processing and launch facilities, including KSC services.
• Launch vehicle processing operations - flight hardware receipt & inspection, stage level build-up and testing, vehicle vertical stacking and LV integrated system testing.
• Payload operations and integration - customer coordination and planning, payload fairings, adapters, payload handling, propellant loading, encapsulation at Astrotech, KSC or CCAFS processing facility, lifting and transportation to VAB, mate to LV stack, and final mission system testing.
• Promote collaborative environment with Safety & Mission Assurance, ground systems operations and maintenance, Procurement, Finance, Human Resources, Security, and corporate compliance (training).
• Present at Business Management Reviews, Customer Mission and Program Reviews.
• Identify risks/mitigations and track to closure in Risk Tracker.
• Lead Problem and Failure investigations.
• Travel as needed: expectation of 15% - 25%
US Citizenship required
• 9 Years with Bachelors in Engineering; 7 Years with Masters; 4 Years with PhD.
• Candidate must have demonstrated ability to:
o Plan and execute complex, fast paced projects
o Communicate technically complex topics and scenarios clearly and concisely
o Build relationships necessary to function efficient teams
• Direct operations experience in a diverse variety of launch vehicle systems and aerospace ground systems, including LV electrical, avionics or software systems, cryogenic stages and integrated system testing.
• Experience in Requirements Definition, System Architecture, Design and Analysis, System Installation, Testing, Operation, Trouble-shooting, and direct experience in ground support equipment and system testing and operations.
• Experience with hydraulic and electromechanical systems.
• Experience with project management with multi-discipline teams.
• Experience with multi-stage launch vehicle processing at KSC, CCAFS, VAFB or WFF
• Experience with solid rocket motors and liquid fuel stages is highly desired
• Experience with payload and payload fairing processing is highly desired
• Customer interface experience, USAF and NASA is desired
• Strong systems engineering experience.
• Experience with producing Systems Engineering documentation (ICDs, Specs, UDS documentation, Requirements Verification Documents)
• Proven ability to establish, manage and prioritize multiple projects with excellent project planning and execution skills
• Demonstrated support for successful proposals / business development activities (RFIs, RFPs, etc.)
• Experience working with NASA, US Air Force and Range Safety technical experts and customers.
Skills & Qualifications:
•Strong technical leadership and integrated program teamwork skills
•Organizational vision and motivational skills
•Excellent written and verbal communication skills
•Excellent time management skills
•Proficient 3D modeling (Solidworks, Creo, NX, etc)
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.