Northrop Grumman manufactures some of the world's most technically advanced products. Our manufacturing plants are highly-automated, cutting-edge centers of excellence where employees leverage the latest technology, including the strategic use of automation, 3-D printing and robotics. There are a myriad of job functions associated with the manufacture of our products that range from machinists, engineers, operation program managers, and quality inspectors.
Our mission is to deliver differentiated value to our programs, by manufacturing products with the highest possible quality at the most affordable rate. Search our current job openings and join us to be at the front line of innovation.
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems (NGMS) is looking for you to join our team as a GENERAL MACHINIST B - LG based out of Sunnyvale.
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Set up and operate a limited variety of manual and CNC/DNC vertical and horizontal milling, grinding, drilling, broaching, boring, and turning machines to perform machining operations. Machine various parts
including complex configurations to exacting tolerances of finish, perpendicularity, concentricity, parallelism, flatness, where details are not normally provided.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT: Manual and CNC/DNC horizontal/vertical milling, grinding, boring, drilling, broaching, and turning machines, tracer attachments, layout machine and table, indexing tables, shims, nuts, bolts, clamps, chuck
jaws, fixtures, jigs, vises, tool holders, end mills, face mills, drills, taps, reamers, boring bars, carbide tools, high speed tools, broaches, templates, scribes, hammers, wrenches, height gages, gage blocks, tape punches, cranes, rigging, etc.
Electronic/manual measuring equipment including indicators, micrometers, scopes, levels, verniers, squares, gages and chart recorders.
MATERIAL: Carbon and stainless steel, alloy steel, aluminum, brass, bronze, rough and semi finished stock, castings, forgings, fabrications, cutting oil, coolant, hydraulic fluid, rags, etc.
DIRECTION OF OTHERS: Direct Crane Operator/Slinger personnel in positioning workpiece and removing from machine.
WORKING PROCEDURE: The following are the usual major job duties but this description does not preclude the performance of other duties by the incumbent, nor the question being raised on the proper rate for the assignment:
1. Receive work assignments from lead or supervision.
2. Read and follow safety regulations and procedures, and MI package, including drawings, change notices, operation sheets, specifications, work authorizations, programs, readout sheets, and set up sheets.
3. Select, align and position tools in holders to exacting tolerances. Select and set optimum speeds and feeds and tool travel stops. Set read out and positioning indicators for reference.
4. Analyze manufacturing information, production drawings, instructions, and parts. Check material size to verify there is sufficient material to machine to drawing. Select method of holding and aligning workpiece, and machining cuts required
to obtain speed finishes and tolerances where details are not normally provided
5. Lay out and scribe or mark on parts reference lines and center points for precise machining dimensions where accuracy is essential. Use trigonometry and geometry tables and/or charts to determine dimensions for bolt circles, angles, chords, etc.
6. Position, align, level and clamp various sizes and shapes of workpieces to machine and/or to positioning and supporting fixtures to exacting tolerances in all axis without distorting or stressing workpiece.
7. Setup, operate/perform and adjust any seven of the following types of manual and CNC/DNC machines and machine operations; Manual: 1) Boring Mill Horiz, 2) Vertical Turret Lathe/Boring MA 3) Engine Lathe, 4) Radial Drill Press, 5)
Cylindrical Grinder, 6) Surface Grinder, 7) Broach (single task), 8) Honing. CNC/DNC: 1) Vertical Turret Lathe, 2) Boring Mill Horiz, 3) Engine Lathe, 4) Drill Press, to machine a variety of parts including complex co configurations requiring
a thorough machining knowledge and demonstrated proficiency in applying diversified machining skills to accomplish exacting tolerances of finish, perpendicularity, concentricity, parallelism, flatness.
8. Develop and/or follow the sequencing of CNC/DNC machines. Prepare, proof or make changes to programs as necessary to produce part to specifications. Correct program errors and supplement movement in manual mode and perform operations.
9. Disassemble setups of jobs and clean and return fixtures, gages, tools, etc, to their assigned locations.
10. Check work for conformance to specifications and chart dimensions. Sign off operations completed and obtain first piece and final inspection sign offs on operation sheets.
11. Must be able to obtain and maintain certified operator measurement certification through periodic testing.
12. Maintain tools, equipment and work area in a clean and orderly condition.
13. Maintain a working knowledge of various machining principles and practices, processes, capabilities, tooling, and technologies. Recommend and/or initiate changes in machining procedures and methods to improve operating efficiency.
14. Relay pertinent job information to employees assigned to the same machines on follow up shifts.
15. Perform work of equal or lower classification as required.
This is Union represented position.
Rocktober Qualifications :Basic Qualifications:
What We Can Offer You:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must be able to read and understand drawings and assembly instructions
- Five or more years of machining experience in a job shop environment on both mills and lathes
- Demonstrated knowledge of work safety habits and the ability to follow necessary safety precautions applicable to work
- Ability to operate material handling equipment
- Able to work and communicate effectively with team members on technical issues
- Basic computer skills
- Must be able to work any shift and overtime as needed
- Able to pass skills evaluation test.
Northrop Grumman provides a comprehensive benefits package and a work environment that encourages your growth and supports the mutual success of our people and our company. Northrop Grumman benefits give you the flexibility and control to choose the benefits that make the most sense for you and your family. Your package will include the following:
- Health Plan
- Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Education Assistance
- Training and Development
- Flexible Work Arrangements
https://benefits.northropgrumman.com/us/en2/BenefitsOverview/Pages/default.aspx Additional Northrop Grumman Information:
Northrop Grumman has approximately 85,000 employees in all 50 states and in more than 25 countries, we strive to attract and retain the best employees by providing an inclusive work environment wherein employees are receptive to diverse ideas, perspectives and talents to help solve our toughest customer challenges: to develop and maintain some of the most technically sophisticated products, programs and services in the world. Our Values
. The women and men of Northrop Grumman Corporation are guided by Our Values. They describe our company as we want it to be. We want our decisions and actions to demonstrate these Values. We believe that putting Our Values into practice creates long-term benefits for shareholders, customers, employees, suppliers, and the communities we serve. Our Responsibility
. At Northrop Grumman, we are committed to maintaining the highest of ethical standards, embracing diversity and inclusion, protecting the environment, and striving to be an ideal corporate citizen in the community and in the world.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.