Since the dawn of the space age, Northrop Grumman has put innovative products and ideas into orbit, on the Moon, and beyond - from systems engineering, spacecraft manufacturing, precision sensors, space instrument design, ground stations development, and revolutionary launch vehicles. Help shape the future of Space exploration as an integral part of the Lunar Missions at Northrop Grumman. Join an organization working to put the first woman and the next man on the moon in 2024 and develop the next steps toward human space missions to Mars through our human habitat in cislunar space. At Northrop Grumman, we are launching careers into orbit.
This Systems Engineering position offers the opportunity to work on an exciting space flight program within the Space Systems Group at Northrop Grumman. The Staff Systems Engineer is responsible for leadership accountabilities & key SE deliverables as part of the SE Integrated Team at various program levels i.e. Mission-, Element-, Segment-level, including the direction and results of a multi-disciplined engineering development of the space system architecture & elements for flight program deliverables or new business concepts and proposals.
In this role, the Staff Systems Engineer position is expected to be self-directed using previous experience to lead Spacecraft and/or Mission design and analysis efforts, Mission Operations and Ground Segment development, or Specialty Systems Engineering Analysis. Candidates must be able to recognize and mitigate instrument, spacecraft, ground segment, and mission technical issues while operating within budget and on schedule.
- Provide Systems Engineering Team leadership for engineers of various skill sets and years of experience
- Tasking assignments, deliverables review, timecard approvals, performance appraisal inputs
- Perform Cost Account Manager duties for Systems Engineering WBS, deliverables, and CPI & SPI
- Interact with the Program Management on all technical issues, risks, and deliverables
- Risk Management for product line: Risk Board planning, conductance, minutes, and mitigations
- Serve as customer interface as necessary to ensure compliance to all contractual specifications, policies, and processes
- Plan and maintain the schedule for all internal and external design reviews and customer technical interchange meetings and formal reviews
- Lead and conduct formal program reviews as appropriate
- Provide technical review, assessments, and investigations as needed for the readiness and presentations
- Lead or participate in new business capture and proposal activities
Bachelor's degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineer, Math or related area) and 14+ years of experience, Master's Degree and 12+ years, PhD and 9 years of experience
-Five or more years of technical or project leadership positions
-Ability to lead a system engineering team to develop system requirements
-Ability to develop and manage system interfaces to integrate multi-element systems
-Ability to translate program objectives and customer requirements into system requirements
-Ability to allocate requirements among multiple elements of an integrated space system
-Experience with complex space mission CONOPS, navigation systems and orbit analyses
-Experience with space Mission Operations
-Master's degree or higher in an Engineering or related field
-Experience with spacecraft design or Mission Operations for manned NASA missions
-Experience with system engineering requirement tools (Cradle, CORE or DOORS) and processes
-Experience in requirements development and management processes
-Experience in development and maintenance of interface control documents and related processes
-Experience in space system testing and evaluation (flight and ground testing)
-Experience with various technical analysis tools such as MATLAB and STK
-Experience and/or training in Earned Value Management Systems
-Space vehicle and/or space mission engineering
-Guidance, Navigation, control, rendezvous modeling, analyses and simulation
-Complex space mission CONOPS, navigation systems and orbit analyses
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.