At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history and Defining Possible.
Northrop Grumman is seeking a Senior Staff Optical Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This individual will join the Laser & Sensor Subsystems Department located in Redondo Beach, CA. As industry pioneers and leaders, the Laser and Sensor organization provides enabling state-of-the-art technology engineered into national security defense systems and civilian science and environmental missions. The organization provides integrated system expertise for primary products which include high-energy and high-peak power lasers, beam control and optical subsystems, laser and optical communications, and EO/IR sensor subsystems, which range from component design and development through system integration.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
• Directing the optical and opto-mechanical design, and subsequent integration and test of high power (multi-kW) laser systems with associated free-space optical assemblies and beam paths
• Working both independently and as part of larger diverse teams, including the capacity to lead engineering teams which draw upon a wide range of scientific and engineering disciplines
• Applying extensive optical, opto-mechanical and laser technical expertise, with extensive knowledge of related disciplines
• Supporting laser product development and productization of laser technology
• Leading the integration & test of laser systems including both CW and pulsed laser systems, encompassing both fiber and slab technologies
• Developing technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
For more Electronics and Payloads openings visit:
Unique ID: elepay
• Bachelors of Science degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math) field from an accredited institution
•A minimum of 14 Years of experience in the design and integration & test of solid-state laser system architectures, including fiber lasers and amplifiers; or 12 years of experience in the design and integration & test of solid-state laser system architectures with a STEM Master's degree; or 9 years of experience in the design and integration & test of solid-state laser system architectures with a STEM PhD degree
•Ability to support and generate laser system/subsystem requirements
•Laser system integration background with knowledge of hardware requirements and testing protocols and verifications
•Capable of preparing and presenting briefing packages to both internal and external customers, communicating technical approaches and findings
• 12+ years experience in the design and integration & test of solid-state laser system architectures with a STEM PhD degree
•Experience with leading interdisciplinary teams in the design and implementation of laser and optical systems
•Familiarity with alignment sensitivities associated with free-space beam paths, coating performance, optical damage phenomena and stray light and thermal management.
•Ability to design and laser optical systems and tests, including free-space optical beam trains, telescopes and focal planes, and diagnostics such as interferometers, wavefront sensors, and near-field, far-field and thermal imaging sensors
•Familiarity with suppliers of optics, coatings and fiber-related components.
•Experience with technical writing and proposal efforts
•Ability to maintain an active U.S. Government security clearance at the Top Secret level with a background investigation date within 6 years, or the ability to maintain an active U.S. Government SCI access with a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within the last 5 years
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.