Northrop Grumman Mission Systems (NGMS) seeks to fill an E&S Manager 1 position within the Engineering & Sciences Eastern Region, Software & Digital Technologies organization for Cyber Software Engineering South. This is a dual role in a matrix organization encompassing both people leadership and direct technical performance. The candidate will manage a team of approximately 10-15 who support multiple programs, projects and initiatives. The position is located in McLean/Fairfax, VA.
This role will focus on two primary areas of responsibility:
1. Team Leadership and Management: Ensures her/his team has a clear purpose and clear roles; Communicates information to employees in a timely manner to help them to be productive and engaged; Gives direct feedback to people on her/his team about their performance and potential in the organization; Is a talent scout who excels at finding and developing next-generation talent; Finds targeted development assignments for employees on her/his team who will become next-generation leaders; Is a role model for diversity and inclusion through seeking out and including diverse opinions and perspectives; Proactively confronts inappropriate behaviors in an effective way. Ensure that the technical requirements of supported programs are being met by the personnel within the discipline team. Functional responsibilities include staffing and workload forecast; employee inclusion, engagement, performance review lifecycle, mentoring and career development. Additional responsibilities include coordinating specific staffing requirements, drafting/reviewing requisitions and performing hiring manager responsibilities, identifying rotational opportunities for employees, and performance management.
2. Team Technical Performance: The candidate should have a technical performance role currently in place that can account for at least 80% of their time. Technical performance responsibilities will vary based on current role.
The position requires communication with Program managers, other Cyber SWE Department managers, Talent Acquisition and HR. Consequently, excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. The candidate may work closely with managers of other engineering disciplines, program directors and program managers, as necessary.
The successful candidate will clearly demonstrate strong leadership skills to achieve sustainable top performance. He/ she will have a track record as an effective communicator and problem solver who is able to develop and maintain good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders. This candidate will demonstrate a commitment to ethics and integrity, and the capability to innovate. Demonstrated abilities to build diverse and inclusive teams with high levels of engagement, including mentoring and coaching, are a must. This candidate will demonstrate a broad skill set that is balanced between interpersonal, business, and technical capabilities.
- Bachelor Degree and a minimum of 10+ years' experience in software system engineering. An additional 4 years of experience can be used in lieu of degree.
- Proven leadership skills as a people and technical leader, and ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment
- Experience leading software systems engineering teams or IPTs
- Experienced in all aspects of the software engineering process, from requirements analysis through retirement
- Current, active Secret clearance with the ability to obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI polygraph
- Master's degree in a relevant technical or management specialty.
- High proficiency in technical problem solving
- Certified in one (or more) of the following:
- INCOSE Systems Engineering Professional (Associate or Certified Level) is strongly preferred
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- MBA or PMI PMP Certification
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Posting ID: 552779888Posted: 2020-05-21