Northrop Grumman Aeronautics Systems sector is looking for a Software Functional Manager
for the Mission Systems Software Department
. This position is a dual-hat position requiring the candidate to perform functional management activities as well as the individual's current program responsibilities on program. It is expected that the Functional management role will comprise 10% to 20% of the candidate's time.
The candidate should have a strong technical background in software development and embedded systems, including strong C/C++, software requirements and software design experience. Software Development focus is for flight/safety-critical applications using software engineering best practices & standards and participate in the full life-cycle of software development to include C++ coding to flight/safety critical coding standards, unit testing and software integration testing, Software requirements and design documentation and support for program reviews. Management duties will require tasking and coordination of approximately 12 engineers, and process and resource coordination with functional homeroom management.
The candidate will be responsible for assessing staffing needs, current as well as projected and working with the respective IPT to address those needs. He/she will also be responsible for supporting recruitment activities including the creation of requisitions, conducting interviews, and approving offers. He/she will work with the program software manager and IPT leads in establishing personal program and functional goals as well as performing performance evaluations and merit adjustments for subordinates. The candidate will provide their subordinates with career development recommendations, mentoring, discipline, as necessary. He/she will acquire the necessary computers, equipment and tools to enable their subordinates to perform their work. He/she will generate training plans based on the program and their subordinates' needs. It is expected that the candidate will provide their group with regular flow down of company and organizational status and appropriately represent and be a spokesperson for the Software Engineering organization to their group, assigned project, and the company.
The candidate will have 80-90% technical responsibilities: develop, modify and maintain hard real time embedded system software development for flight/safety-critical applications using software engineering best practices & standards and participate in the full life-cycle of software development to include C++ coding to flight/safety critical coding standards, unit testing and software integration testing. Software requirements and design documentation and support for program reviews. Qualifications :Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) discipline and 7+ years of direct related experience in military and/or commercial payload integration and/or software systems engineering development OR a
- Master's Degree in a STEM discipline and 5+ years of direct related experience in military and/or commercial payload integration and/or software systems engineering development
- Must be familiar with all phases of the software development life cycle and Agile software development
- Prior lead or management experience in a team environment
- Although not required to start this position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a DOD Secret or Top Secret clearance as well as Program Special Access within a reasonable amount of time, as determined by the company to meet its business needs.
- MS in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Preferred candidates will have demonstrated leadership of engineering
- personnel on a Northrop Grumman Corporation program to include software architecture oversight
- Possess DoD secret or higher clearance
- Possess Program Access
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.