Working with NASA flight projects, a mechanical integration Engineer I will work as a member of the team developing mechanical designs or concepts for systems or subsystems to meet requirements space vehicle or ground support equipment specifications. Supports the mechanical integration team to develop the space systems or ground support systems in order to meet highly aggressive program schedules. Prepare specifications and presentation materials in accordance with established guidelines to meet customer schedules and budgets. Perform "hands-on" mechanical integration and test tasks, as required, to meet program schedules. Work with an integrated team of technicians and engineers in the design, fabrication, analysis, assembly, integration, testing and field support of spaceflight hardware, non-flight hardware and GSE on time and under budget. Position falls under the union portion of the contract.
May also perform other duties associated within area of assignment as directed by lead personnel or management.
Qualifications :Basic Qualifications:
- Support the analysis, test, design and development for engineering projects.
- Support the design, develop and document components, hardware or software.
- Analyze requirements for material, structural components or functional system assignment. Release results as design data after review from other engineers.
- Develop and/or approve detailed test procedures, test set up and instrumentation used. Test models, prototypes, subassemblies or production components. Plan strategies for analysis, test and design used for task planning and execution. Document results of analysis, test and design.
- Develop original ideas on preliminary design concepts with other technical groups and make modifications necessary to achieve the maximum ideal design. Prepare specifications and requirements.
- Coordinate support and personnel from other areas such as Optics, Thermal, Structural Dynamics, EMI/EMC, Electrical and Contamination Control, etc.
- Interface with the program management team and/or program engineers to develop detailed assembly procedures, operational flow, logistics, schedule, personnel requirements and maintain space flight hardware inventories and log books.
- Support the development of detailed estimates, define mechanical ground support equipment required to support integration activities and serve as liaison with Project personnel in setting schedules documenting design changes, and fabricating components and material selections.
- Support the development and/or approve detailed procedures for interfacing and handling space flight hardware.
- Develop and present presentations outlining various mechanical integration operations.
- May also perform temporary duties in other areas or other duties associated with area of assignment.
- Minimum of zero to 2 years' experience in engineering field or position / internship/etc is required or similar position complexity as determined by management.
- BS in Mechanical engineering, Aerospace engineering or Physics or a related degree from accredited university.
- Must be able to organize time, assignments and properly prioritize efforts for maximum effectiveness.
- Must be capable of passing required physical examinations and possess certification or be capable of successfully completing training for: electro-static discharge, hazard communications, fall protection, personal protective equipment, and other training directed by management.
- Knowledge of the integration, handling, movement and lifting of space flight hardware and misc GSE.
- Knowledge of environmental test facilities at NASA / Goddard building 7/10/15/29 testing complex.
- Knowledge and/or experience with spaceflight hardware handling, lifting and testing equipment.
- Knowledge and/or experience in the analysis of space flight hardware and ground support equipment.
- Knowledge of test facility and NASA requirements
- Experience and practical ability generating/writing handling and lifting procedures.
- Experience with Mechanical design software, AutoCad, CREO, etc.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Posting ID: 552780139Posted: 2020-05-21