Police Detective (2020-2021 SY) JobID: 33052 Position Type:
06 - Police/Security/SafetyDate Posted:
For Fiscal Year:
2020-2021 Additional Information: Show/HideMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
This position requires a high school diploma or G.E.D. Incumbent must hold a Peace Officer License and Intermediate Peace Officer Certification in good standing from the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education. Incumbent must have successfully completed a TCLEOSE recognized First Line Supervision course within one year of accepting position. This requires two (2) years of active law enforcement experience; prefer four (4) years.SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
This position requires state mandated in-service training, successful completion of annual written tests on Texas Penal Code, Family Code, Education Codes, Alcohol and Beverage Code, Code of Criminal Procedures, and Motor Vehicle Code. Incumbent must be able to successfully complete quarterly fitness tests, and firearms qualifications proficiency. Incumbent must have a valid Texas Driver's License. Incumbent must have the ability to plan daily work assignments as well as short-term and long-term scheduling for officers and other staff. Incumbent must have the ability to train new employees of the department in District policies and procedures.JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
Incumbent serves as Police Detective/Corporal within AISD Police Department, and has the responsibility for maintaining and enforcing policies, directives, standards and laws of the District and State. Incumbent is also responsible for any and all investigations assigned to him/her by the Sergeant over investigations. At times, incumbent will be responsible for oversight of subordinate officers and other staff. This position requires the ability to plan daily work assignments as well as short-term and long-term scheduling for case assignments. Incumbent is responsible for day-to-day operations within the investigative unit.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
- Detective will be responsible for conducting a range of criminal investigations including sexual assaults, child abuse, assault, robbery, theft, theft by public servants, forgery, burglary, etc.
- Conducts personal investigations for Austin ISD Human Resources on all employees.
- Conducts Internal Affairs investigations for Austin ISD Police Officers.
- Will serve as an investigative liaison with other law enforcement investigative units such as the Austin Police Department, Travis County Sheriff's Office, etc.
- Will work closely with Child Protective Services, District and County Attorney's Offices as well as with municipal court to ensure proper investigation of all cases.
- Assist and direct School Resource Officers on campuses as well as patrol officers with questions regarding their criminal investigations.
- Provide continued education and training to Austin ISD officers and administrators in proper investigation protocol.
- Monitor all open and active cases as documented to ensure closure in a timely manner.
- Review warrant request paperwork submitted by line officers and forward to proper court for judge approval.
- Submit for warrant of arrests and search warrants from surrounding judges.
- In absence of ranking sergeant, will serve as supervisor in charge as assigned or at a crime scene.
- Review the daily call logs from prior day to ensure calls were investigated properly.
- Detectives serve in dual role investigative units and will be responsible for any duties assigned to him/her within the Joint Juvenile Gang Investigative Unit to include providing Gang Resistance Education and Training (G.R.E.A.T.) instruction.
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
This position usually involves working in a standard office environment, but also may include patrolling outdoors. This position may involve routine exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position. PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
This position reports directly to the Lieutenant of the Austin ISD Police Department. Incumbent is accountable for subordinate officers adherence to standards and quality of reports (including status reports.) Incumbent may meet with Police Lieutenant to address issues and discuss equipment needs, staffing, etc. Guidance received from supervisor is typically general and on an exception basis. Incumbent generally makes the majority of decisions for his/her unit following established department rules, policies, and procedures. Incumbent receives annual evaluation from supervisor.COMPENSATION:
Duty Days: 262
Pay Grade: PD4
Starting Salary: $27.36/Hr
Comprehensive Benefits Package
Employee Discount ProgramClosing Date: Until FilledAn Equal Opportunity Employer