Police Sergeant (2020-2021 SY) JobID: 33053 Position Type:
06 - Police/Security/SafetyDate Posted:
For Fiscal Year:
2020-2021 Additional Information: Show/HideMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
This position requires a high school diploma or G.E.D. Incumbent must hold a Peace Officer License and Intermediate Peace Officer Certification in good standing from the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education. Incumbent must have at least four (4) years of law enforcement experience or two (2) years as a Corporal within the department. If applying for this position outside of AISD, or if utilizing time in grade outside of AISD PD, applicant must have held the position as a first line police supervisor for a period of at least four (4) years. Experience as an AISD Police Corporal or other supervisory experience and an Associate Degree in criminal justice, or a related field, is preferred. Incumbent must have successfully completed a TCLEOSE recognized First Line Supervision course within one year of accepting position.SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
This position requires state mandated in-service training, successful completion of annual written tests on Texas Penal Code, Family Code, Education Codes, Alcohol and Beverage Code, Code of Criminal Procedures, and Motor Vehicle Code. Incumbent must be able to successfully complete quarterly fitness tests, and firearms qualifications proficiency. Incumbent must have a valid Texas Driver's License. Incumbent must have the ability to plan daily work assignments as well as short-term and long-term scheduling for officers and other staff. Incumbent must have the ability to train new employees of the department in District policies and procedures, and monitor professional development for officers and staff within the department. JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
Incumbent serves as Police Sergeant within the Austin ISD Police Department, and has the responsibility for maintaining and enforcing policies, directives, standards and laws of the District and State. Incumbent is also responsible for the oversight of subordinate officers and other staff within the department. This position requires the ability to plan daily work assignments as well as short-term and long-term scheduling for officers and other staff, establish priorities, establish responsibilities and organize work as required for officers and other staff as appropriate. Incumbent is responsible for day-to-day operations of a patrol unit within the department. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
- Patrol campuses for suspicious activity such as unauthorized persons on campus or unlawful activity.
- Arrest and book persons for law violations as necessary, and testify in court as needed.
- Review offense reports before closing out or referring to Court.
- Complete paperwork associated with duties as necessary (e.g., affidavits for arrest, incident reports, activity reports.)
- Respond to phone calls reporting crimes and respond accordingly.
- Receive, address, and respond to other inquiries, requests for information, and grievances relating to campus activities.
- Provide entry for contractors, etc., and be present as necessary for other administrative activities, which require official oversight.
- Review department activities for compliance with District, State, and Federal guidelines and regulations.
- Assign duties to officers and staff based upon priority and scheduling of campus-wide activities such as sporting events and student registration as well as other activities where there is expected to be a large group of people on a school campus.
- Train new employees of the department in Austin ISD policies and procedures.
- Monitor professional development for officers and staff within the department.
- Participate in interviews, hiring and termination decisions in the department and other departments where applicable.
- Review leave of absence requests and provide guidance in career advancement opportunities.
- Supervises officers throughout the Austin ISD who are assigned to the various Bureaus.
- Rotates with other supervisors for on-call status.
- Mediates complaints from the public regarding staff personnel, traffic complaints, and officers.
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
This position usually involves working in a standard office environment, but also may include patrolling outdoors. This position may involve routine exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position. PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
This position reports directly to the Lieutenant of the Austin ISD Police Department. Incumbent is accountable for subordinate officers adherence to standards and quality of reports (including status reports.) Incumbent may meet with Police Lieutenant to address issues and discuss equipment needs, staffing, etc. Guidance received from supervisor is typically general and on an exception basis. Incumbent generally makes the majority of decisions for his/her unit following established department rules, policies, and procedures. Incumbent receives annual evaluation from supervisor.COMPENSATION:
Duty Days: 262
Pay Grade: PD5
Starting Salary: $31.99/Hr
Comprehensive Benefits Package
Employee Discount ProgramClosing Date: Until FilledAn Equal Opportunity Employer