Are you ready to be professionally challenged? Are you looking to be part of a dynamic team of engaged and committed professionals? Then the Health and Specialty Care System (HSCS) may be just the place for you! The HSCS is comprised of nine psychiatric hospitals located throughout the state, and one youth residential psychiatric center in Waco. The HSCS is a hub of excellence for forensic mental health and complex psychiatric care, with all facilities accredited by The Joint Commission. The hospitals provide state-of-the-art treatment that is recovery-oriented and science-based. Whether in a direct-care or support role, your contribution will make a difference in the life of a Texan.
Registered Therapist II/Art Therapist under the general supervision of the Director of Rehabilitation Therapy services, performs clinical duties associated with Art Therapy. Develops behavioral objectives and enters this information into treatment plans. Documents on patient progress in relation to established objectives. Will provide Art Therapy services both individually and in group settings.
Essential Job Functions:
Attends work on a regular basis and may be required to work a specific shift schedule or, at times, even a rotating schedule, extended shift and/or overtime in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned.
1. Assessment of patients for therapeutic need of art therapy services. Includes chart review, consulting with the interdisciplinary treatment team and developing individualized goals and objectives for a wide variety of disabilities, cognitive levels and behaviors.
2. Provides art therapy treatment and art based programming to include but not limited to the following modalities: paper crafts, painting, coloring, beading, clay, etc. Selects and modifies the art based activity to meet the patients interests and needs as identified in the art therapy plan of care with consideration for safety in the therapeutic environment.
3. Documentation of services into electronic chart (Radplus) to include assessment findings, treatment objectives and treatment progress. Completes all documentation within two (2) business days. Completes monthly reports and other documentation as assigned.
4. Clinical Preparation for sessions. Completes inventory and requisitions for ordering of supplies in advance to include: paint, canvas, paper, pencils, craft supplies, etc. Supplies will be requisitioned from approved vendors and purchased via requisition, procurement card, etc.
5. Disinfects and clean materials and equipment after patient use. Demonstrates understanding of safety rules, regulations and procedures to include but not limited to Safety Data Sheets (SDS), monitoring sharps, infection control, etc.
Other duties as assigned include but are not limited to actively participating and/or serving in a supporting role to meet the agency's obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
1. Knowledge of mental health disorders indigenous to an inpatient psychiatric facility.
2. Knowledge of a variety of art modalities.
3. Ability to provide appropriate treatment modalities for adolescent, young/middle adult and geriatric age groups.
4. Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
5. Must have strong leadership skills in order to address maladaptive behaviors within a psychiatric clinical setting.
6. Ability to adapt art-based interventions in accordance with each patient's current level of functioning.
7. Ability to physically and emotionally have the stamina to permit full performance of duties.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Art Therapist Registered (ATR), Art Therapist Provisional (ATR-Provisional), Board Certified Art Therapy (ATR-BC) or Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC, LPC-Intern) with Specialty Designation in Art Therapy (LPC-AT).
Initial Selection Criteria:
1. Experience in art therapy work preferably in a hospital or healthcare setting.
Applicants must pass a fingerprint criminal background check, pre-employment drug screen, and registry checks including the Client Abuse/Neglect Reporting System (CANRS), Nurse Aid, Medication Aide and Employee Misconduct, and HHS OIG list of Excluded Individuals/Entities. Males between the ages of 18-25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
All applicants must be at least 18 years of age to be considered for employment at
a state-operated facility.
The salary offered will follow HHS starting salary guidelines which are typically made at or near the posted minimum of the salary range.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, healthcare workers are considered to be at significant risk for acquiring or transmitting hepatitis B, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chicken pox), tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), and influenza. All of these diseases are vaccine-preventable. As a result, state hospital policy requires employees be vaccinated according to their level of contact with patients. In the event you choose to not be immunized for the influenza virus, you may be required to wear a mask and take other protective measures.
Military occupation(s) that relate to the initial selection criteria and registration or licensure requirements for this position may include, but not limited to: 68F/L, 65A/B, HN, 230X, HS, 42BX. All active duty military, reservists, guardsmen, and veterans are encouraged to apply if qualified to fill this position. For more information see the Texas State Auditor's Military Crosswalk at http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx.
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation with you on your first day of work.
I-9 Form - Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.