Are you ready to be professionally challenged? Are you looking to be part of a dynamic team of engaged and committed professionals? Then the Health and Specialty Care System (HSCS) may be just the place for you! The HSCS is comprised of nine psychiatric hospitals located throughout the state, and one youth residential psychiatric center in Waco. The HSCS is a hub of excellence for forensic mental health and complex psychiatric care, with all facilities accredited by The Joint Commission. The hospitals provide state-of-the-art treatment that is recovery-oriented and science-based. Whether in a direct-care or support role, your contribution will make a difference in the life of a Texan.
The Psychiatric Nursing Assistant II/Client Transportation primarily functions in patient transportation which includes transporting patients to and from the hospital for appointments and/or transporting discharged patients to their home or designated facility. Secondary functions include provision of direct care to patients, assisting with bathing, dressing, personal hygiene and dietary needs. Works under the general supervision of the Nurse Manager, and the direct supervision of the shift charge RN and Shift Team Leader to maintain approved standards of completing all duties assigned, maintaining good communication and documentation.
Essential Job Functions:
Attends work on a regular basis and may be required to work a specific shift schedule or, at times, even a rotating schedule, extended shift and/or overtime in accordance with agency policy and performs other duties as assigned
1. Safely and efficiently operates state owned vans and/or cars in transporting patients.
2. Completes all necessary paperwork including mileage log, fuel log, cellular phone log and vehicle log for each trip.
3. Assures efficient scheduling of patients through communication with associated staff.
4. Maintains radio communication and/or cell phone communication with dispatcher and/or scheduling coordinator, utilizing proper codes and procedures at all times.
5. Provides direct care to patients in a manner that observes safety, patient rights, infection control, comfort and a therapeutic environment.
6. Monitors patients as assigned and provides observation to ensure the health and safety of all persons. Escorts patient to activities and appointments as required.
7. Responds effectively in crisis or psychiatric emergency situations, verbal de-escalation and the application of Treatment Intervention Protection Strategies (TIPS), and other more restrictive interventions under the direct supervision of a RN in order to avert crisis situations and to ensure the health and safety of all persons.
8. Performs CPR/Heimlich techniques and use of an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) correctly and safely according to the specifications of the American Heart Association.
Other duties as assigned include but not limited to actively participating and/or serving in a supporting role to meet the agency's obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
1. Proficient in driving state cars, vans and tram once CDL is secured.
2. Utilizes nursing principles learned in basic training.
3. Is able to provide assistance and direction to other staff in the care and treatment of patients.
4. Knows types and behaviors of various types of mental illness.
5. Is able to accurately observe, report and record patient behaviors and physical characteristics; to interpret and carry out written and oral instructions; and to interact with interdisciplinary staff team setting.
6. Ability to travel out of town on overnight trips with a minimum of twice a month.
7. Ability to travel on scheduled days off.
8. Must be a qualified driver and meet requirements for obtaining a CDL.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Must possess valid Texas driver's license or obtain it no later than 90 days after hire date. Applicants with an out-of-state driver's license must provide an original certified driving record from the state of driving licensure. Eligible driving record required based on HHSC Fleet Management policy
Initial Selection Criteria:
1. Graduation from a standard senior high school or equivalent (GED) is generally preferred
2. A minimum of six (6) months experience working as a PNA I which involves providing direct care services.
Applicants must pass a fingerprint criminal background check, pre-employment drug screen, and registry checks including the Client Abuse/Neglect Reporting System (CANRS), Nurse Aid, Medication Aide and Employee Misconduct, and HHS OIG list of Excluded Individuals/Entities. Males between the ages of 18-25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
All applicants must be at least 18 years of age to be considered for employment at a state-operated facility.
Salary Note: The salary offered will follow HHS starting salary guidelines which are typically made at or near the posted minimum of the salary range.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, healthcare workers are considered to be at significant risk for acquiring or transmitting hepatitis B, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chicken pox), tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), and influenza. All of these diseases are vaccine-preventable. As a result, state hospital policy requires employees be vaccinated according to their level of contact with patients. In the event you choose to not be immunized for the influenza virus, you may be required to wear a mask and take other protective measures.
Prefer Commercial Drivers' License, will allow selected employee a 90 day timeframe in which to obtain a CDL if not a current CDL holder.
Military occupation(s) that relate to the initial selection criteria and registration or licensure requirements for this position may include, but not limited to: 68X, 4C0X1. All active duty military, reservists, guardsmen, and veterans are encouraged to apply if qualified to fill this position. For more information see the Texas State Auditor's Military Crosswalk at http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx.
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation with you on your first day of work.
I-9 Form - Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.