Are you ready to be professionally challenged? Are you looking to be part of a dynamic team of engaged and committed professionals? Then the Health and Specialty Care System (HSCS) may be just the place for you! The HSCS is comprised of nine psychiatric hospitals located throughout the state, and one youth residential psychiatric center in Waco. The HSCS is a hub of excellence for forensic mental health and complex psychiatric care, with all facilities accredited by The Joint Commission. The hospitals provide state-of-the-art treatment that is recovery-oriented and science-based. Whether in a direct-care or support role, your contribution will make a difference in the life of a Texan.
This position is 4:00AM-12:30PM. Schedule requires working rotating weekends, holidays and occasional after hour work may be required.
Custodian l performs entry level custodian work such as; sweeping, mopping, dusting, spray waxing, floor stripping, restroom cleaning, carpet care, cleans offices, furniture, walls, windows, and trash disposal in the residential and administrative areas of the campus. The Custodian I provides and maintains a clean, safe, and sanitary environment for the patients, staff and visitors. The Custodian I has no supervisory responsibility or any decision making is required. The Custodian I has no financial responsibilities but is accountable for assigned property.
Essential Job Functions:
Attends work on a regular basis and may be required to work a specific shift schedule or, at times, even a rotating schedule, extended shift and/or overtime in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned.
1. Floor Care: Floor care includes all sweeping, mopping, spray buffing, cleaning edges, corners, baseboards, stripping and re-waxing following the established housekeeping standard operating procedures.
2. Carpet Care: Perform vacuuming, spot cleaning, carpet bonneting, and carpet extracting in accordance with housekeeping procedures for carpet care.
3. Restrooms/bath areas: Shall provide thorough disinfecting and cleaning of all bath areas, fixtures, ceramic tile and floor areas in accordance with the standard operating procedure to provide patients, staff, and visitors with a clean, safe environment.
4. Water Fountains: Provide disinfecting and cleaning of all water fountains in accordance with standard operating procedures to ensure water fountains will not become a source for the spread of infection.
5. Trash Disposal: Provide trash disposal, disinfect, clean, and reline all trash receptacles to provide a clean environment.
6. General Cleaning: Perform all routine scheduled duties such as window cleaning, equipment cleaning, vents, lights, and dusting of office furniture to provide a clean, sanitary environment.
7. All other duties assigned by Supervisor will be done in a timely manner using proper standard operating procedures.
Other duties as assigned include but are not limited to actively participating and/or serving in a supporting role to meet the agency's obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
1. Knowledge of cleaning techniques and procedures related to infection control and safety regulations.
2. Skill in the use of custodial materials and chemicals
3. Skill in the operation of vacuum cleaners, buffers, wet/dry pick-ups, automatic scrubbers, and related custodial equipment
4. Physical condition sufficient to perform a variety of manual tasks requiring strength and stamina such as heavy lifting 45 lbs. or more, stooping, and work involving climbing 8 foot ladders
5. Must be flexible in working alternate areas as assigned.
6. Basic computer skills, ability to learn computer programs to accomplish required training's, e-mail and check time and leave balances.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Initial Selection Criteria:
1. Ability to work 4:00 AM to 12:30 PM.
2. Ability to work Monday - Friday with rotating weekends and holidays.
Applicants must pass a fingerprint criminal background check, pre-employment drug screen, and registry checks including the Client Abuse/Neglect Reporting System (CANRS), Nurse Aid, Medication Aide and Employee Misconduct, and HHS OIG list of Excluded Individuals/Entities. Males between the ages of 18-25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
All applicants must be at least 18 years of age to be considered for employment at a state-operated facility.
Salary Note: The salary offered will follow HHS starting salary guidelines which are typically made at or near the posted minimum of the salary range.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, healthcare workers are considered to be at significant risk for acquiring or transmitting hepatitis B, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chicken pox), tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), and influenza. All of these diseases are vaccine-preventable. As a result, state hospital policy requires employees be vaccinated according to their level of contact with patients. In the event you choose to not be immunized for the influenza virus, you may be required to wear a mask and take other protective measures.
There may be no military occupation(s) that relate to the initial selection criteria and registration or licensure requirements for this position. All active duty military, reservists, guardsmen, and veterans are encouraged to apply if qualified to fill this position. For more information see the Texas State Auditor's Military Crosswalk at http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx.
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation with you on your first day of work.
I-9 Form - Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.