The Northern California Division has an opening for a First Assistant Store Director located at our Truckee, California retail store.
The First Assistant Store Director, along with the Store Director, is responsible for the day to day operations of the store. The First Assistant Store Director has overall responsibility for the store when the Store Director is not present. The First Assistant Store Director, along with the Store Director, are responsible for making store level decisions on hiring, training, disciplinary action, and scheduling. Further, the First Assistant Store Director is responsible for the direct oversight and management of the center of store departments: Grocery, Dairy, Frozen, Backroom/Inventory, General Merchandise, Health and Beauty, Liquor and Fuel. The Company expects First Assistant Store Directors will spend more than half their time in directing others, managing the enterprise, and activities directly and closely related to those tasks and that anyone having difficulty doing will inform their District Manager and/or Human Resources so that additional training can be provided.
- Overall management responsibility for the operation of a retail grocery store during absence of the Store Director, including store performance, control of cash, inventory and security, customer service, and management of staff
- Responsible for the management and leadership of the center of store departments: Grocery, Dairy, Frozen, Backroom/Inventory, General Merchandise, Health and Beauty, Liquor and Fuel
- Manage team of direct reports: Night Crew Lead Clerk, Dairy Lead Clerk, Frozen Lead Clerk, Inventory Control Clerk, GM/HBC Lead Clerk, Liquor Lead clerk, and Fuel Station Supervisor
- Responsible for the center of store departments' financial expectations including sales and EBITDA
- Manages the scheduling, ordering, receiving, backroom, pricing, stocking, and merchandising duties of center store departments
- Manages the planning, organizing, and directing of day-to-day operations with the center of store department lead clerks
- Ensures implementation of company and division merchandising policies
- Responsible for managing the center of store departments' inventory controls, levels, and processes
- Track, analyze and act to improve store performance by forecasting of weekly/daily sales goals for center of store departments and meeting or exceeding established goals
- Communicate center of store sales goals, department performance and sales opportunities with staff to ensure positive results
- Forecast, schedule, and monitor labor for the center of the store departments to be consistent with store sales and productivity guidelines and wage budgets; create action plan to address cost control issues
- Provide direction in the execution of center of the store departments' marketing strategies to improve product placement and appearance
- Manage center of store department display accuracy and appearance to implement promotions. Ensure that products are properly displayed and ordered in a manner to maintain in-stock conditions.
- Manage issues relating to store maintenance, cleanliness, safety and sanitation.
- Prioritize, plan, and coordinate work activities, and manage time and resources so that work objectives are timely met.
- Ensure compliance with legal requirements and company policies and procedures, including money handling, check cashing, security, food safety, worker and customer safety, sanitation, consumer protection laws (e.g., recalls), accurate and timely payment of wages, etc.
- Ensure compliance with our Equal Employment Opportunity and Anti-Discrimination and Harassment policies. Treat all employees, customers, and vendors with courtesy, dignity and respect.
- Focus on customer satisfaction and needs, ensure that employees provide customers with superior customer service through use of best practices and training and coaching concerning the importance of superior customer service
- Handle customer and employee complaints. Makes decisions to resolve all complaints in the best possible manner for the customer or employee and the business.
- Select, train, develop, and manage job performance of store employees, with input from other management personnel; expected to effectively recommend hiring and disciplinary action up to and including termination.
- Provide constructive suggestions and encouragement, set performance expectations, provide honest feedback, and identify assignments to provide others with developmental opportunities.
- Maintain appropriate professional relationship with union officials, and ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreement provisions, if applicable.
- Maintain positive working relationships with direct reports, peers, supervisors, suppliers, and customers effectively handling complex or difficult situations involving others.
- Motivate others to perform the job and work towards common objectives. Comply with Company policies and procedures to serve as a role model to others instilling a positive attitude in others.
- Manage the Safety Program including overseeing compliance with the Company's safety standards and Hazardous Waste Program.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Education Level:
- High School Diploma (or equivalent) required; College degree preferred
- Experience Level:
- Four or more years retail or managerial experience required
- Retail grocery experience preferred
Skills and Experiences:
- One year of Assistant Manager work experience with responsibility for managing a department/team within a multi-department operation within the retail, hospitality, or service industry required or two years Department Manager experience with responsibility for managing a department/team within a multi-department operation within the retail, hospitality, or service industry required.
- Strong planning and organizational skills; strong math and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated prior customer service and supervisory skills or related experience.
- Strong understanding of overall retail store operations.
- Strong leadership and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Computer literate.
- Ability to make quality decisions while working under time constraints.
- Ability to get along with others.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: None.
- Ability to sit, stand or walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to reach, lift, stack, and maneuver objects of varying dimensions and weights up to approximately 55 lbs.
- May spend long periods of time at desk or computer terminal.
- May use calculators, keyboards, telephone, computers and other office equipment in the course of normal workday.
- Stooping, bending, twisting, and reaching may be required in completion of some job duties.
- Workday is fast paced; holiday, evening and weekend work may be required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this job classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.
Posting ID: 552783832Posted: 2020-05-21