Microsoft Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO&I) is the team behind the cloud. CO&I is responsible for delivering Microsoft web portals, Live and Online Services around the world including infrastructure, security and compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide.
Within CO&I, the Datacenter Engineering (DCE) team is responsible for delivering core datacenter infrastructure for Microsoft's cloud business. The MS portfolio consists of complex, multi-disciplinary, large scale, multi-year datacenter construction and lease projects. We are looking for a passionate, high energy individual to help build the cloud datacenters that power the world's largest online services.
The successful candidate will fulfill a technical leadership role for Microsoft's global datacenter mechanical discipline. This role entails responding to emerging issues on multiple projects at a global scale. Responsible for leading and directing the internal DCE mechanical subject matter experts and external consultants in the design and coordination of the mechanical systems, associated controls and overall topology. Serves as the lead Mechanical Subject Matter Expert providing key input to other organizations and stakeholders. Responsible for leading internal mechanical/BAS controls workgroups and various project assignments when needed. Responsible for the master specification and drawing development detailing the sequence of operation for the mechanical controls systems, and overall network topology and communication protocols required. The position will require some travel to sites for "Factory Witness Testing", vendor interaction in the design process, as well as final commissioning of the installed systems.
- Oversees the global mech engineering/design spanning all regions to ensure alignment and continuity
- Chairs weekly datacenter Joint Engineering Technical meetings, owns technical department meetings
- Maintains master drawings /specs, DCE technical playbooks, PUE templates, design guides/standards, technical compliance
- Owns global mechanical DC Requirements (CSI, Security, Azure, etc.)
- Authors technical service bulletins providing mechanical discipline guidance and direction to the worldwide fleet
- Initiates and maintains global plan of record documents, evaluates proposed changes within the fleet, contributes to availability and probability of failure calcs
- Content expert for lease tech DD, lease tech onboarding, technical reviews and audits, lease site visits
The ideal candidate will be a Mechanical Professional Engineer with expertise in datacenter HVAC engineering. A team player able to work in a multi-disciplined engineering team designing Microsoft Datacenters globally and possessing the skills to work in a fast-paced multi-project environment. Ideal candidate is knowledgeable in the network topologies and communication protocols for both PLC and DDC controls systems. Having a firm understanding of the electrical distribution system design and monitoring requirements for mission critical applications, along with mechanical system sequence of operation requirements and monitoring of all Datacenter HVAC control systems.
Preferred, not Required:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Minimum 10 years' experience dealing with complex mechanical engineering system in HVAC (Datacenters, Micro Electronics are two examples)
- Professional Engineer in Mechanical Engineering
- Deep understanding of HVAC load calculations and psychometrics
- Thorough knowledge of building codes and regulations
- Ability to lead teams of internal and external engineers in advanced engineering and operational processes and procedures as they relate to large datacenter environments
- Candidate must possess strong written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail and maintain high quality standards, including technical report writing
- Able to travel domestically and internationally
Background Check Requirements: Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security background screening requirements. These requirements currently include, but may change, and are not limited to:
- Ability to present using the MS office suite; MS word, MS excel and MS PowerPoint
- AutoCAD, REVIT & BIM capability
- Microsoft Cloud Screen Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Screen background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter while in this role.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.