The data wave is sweeping over our industry. We are a large data science & engineering team in the Core OS and Intelligent Edge group which uses insights from data to help create the best experiences on our devices, software, and services. Cosine Data is made up of people with diverse multi-disciplinary backgrounds, engineering and analytical skills, relentless curiosity, and a motivation to impact product quality with data. Our team includes both data scientists who perform data modeling and analytics and engineers who delivers data products and services. We're looking for someone to help lead development in our data engineering group to develop visualizations and workflows to enable us to ship a better and faster Windows product.
Windows development is more data driven than ever before. As a result, the opportunities for data engineering is limitless and impactful. With more than 800 million devices running Windows 10, we have an extremely large volume and variety of data to work with, and that data enables our team to challenge the status quo and push the business and our products forward across Cosine and all of Microsoft.
Our team focuses on the following high-impact areas:
- Power data-driven decisions to flight pre-release Windows and continuously update Windows in marketplace.
- Understand the state of in-market Windows and identify defects so they can be fixed.
- Enable Cosine group leadership to make strategic decisions.
- Empower teams to take specific actions to improve Windows quality and experience based on metrics from across the OS.
- Enable data science analysis based on cutting edge techniques in machine learning, semantic analysis, data mining, experiments, and statistics.
- Enhance our planning abilities by enabling data driven objectives and key results to be easily created and tracked.
To achieve the impact, we use both Microsoft internal and Azure cloud computing platforms. For Azure, it leverages a variety of storage, compute and analytics cloud services. In addition, we adopts the best open source software to solve our challenges. We use Spark, React, Typescript, CosmosDB, and a myriad of other Azure and open source tools. Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science or another engineering/technical field AND 7+ years of software development experience
- 3+ years of experience in people management role, and proven track record to manage a high performance team, deliver with consistency and high throughput and effectively direct, support and promote people.
- Strong problem solving and algorithmic thinking capability
- Creativity to find pragmatic paths through ambiguity
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with people representing diverse points of view
- Willingness to work in an agile environment with rapid response to a changing customer environment
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check
- This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.