Do you want to have a billion users at your fingertips? The day-to-day job of the Experimentation and Configuration Service (ECS) team is to provide core mechanisms that let Microsoft 365 product teams deliver on their goals to make every experience better. Every time someone sends an email in Outlook, conducts a Microsoft Teams conversation, syncs on OneDrive, or simply launches any of the Office applications- ECS is involved. Furthermore, ECS is collaborating with teams across M365 and Microsoft to combine our capabilities in these areas to give teams across Microsoft the powerful features needed to deliver new, compelling experiences for our users.
The Microsoft 365 Experimentation and Configuration Service is part of the Substrate Change Management and a key to powering our clients and services. By building our clients and services around configuration we are able to control our clients' behavior to improve user experience, roll out features as they are ready, and do controlled experimentation on our experiences to maximize our users' experience. ECS is a multi-purpose change management platform with integrated scenarios with a wide range of Microsoft tooling. Operationally, ECS comprises a management service providing a UX and API to manage the configurations and a configuration service to handle the high volume of queries from the clients and services querying ECS. ECS uses a microservice architecture built on Azure. It uses redundant network, compute, and datastores to serve billions of client configuration requests daily with 99.99% reliability.
- Join a team responsible for highly scalable distributed cloud services in a dev-ops environment
- Customer-focused with a commitment to livesite issues and periodic duty as on-call engineer in case of incidents
- As part of a unified engineering team, implementing both the features and appropriate tests during development
- Lead collaboration inside the team and with other teams across Microsoft
- Mentor and develop others by sharing and learning.
- Have fun and learn new things
- Participate in code reviews, providing and receiving constructive feedback to improve overall code quality
- Proactively manage risks and security, and suggests improvements to existing risk-management processes.
- Make appropriate design and architectural compromises between functionality, performance, dependency, quality, and reliability for the product
- 5 years of software development experience with C#, Java, C++ or other modern programming language
- Experience in architecture, design, and implementation of highly scalable cloud services
- Azure experience preferred
- Ability to independently resolve technical issues
- Extensive experience with multithreading and asynchronous processing
- Good knowledge of low level networking and communication protocols
- Deep knowledge and experience with object oriented design
- Champion of CI/CD, TiP, and pair programming
- Experience with databases (SQL or noSQL) a plus
- Web Application development experience a plus
- Hands on experience with configuration and/or controlled experimentation a plus
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.