Jacobs is seeking an engineer to join our Advanced Source & Impacts Measurements team in support of our Research Laboratory Support (RLS) contract with the U.S. EPA National Risk Management Research Laboratory (NRMRL) - Air Pollution Prevention and Control Division (APPCD) located in Research Triangle Park, NC. The ideal candidate will have professional skills and specialized academic training in a technical field that will be used for and will lead to considerable amount of independent, self-managed work. The ideal candidate's duties will also develop into the management of tasks and possibly projects.
Responsibilities may include:
- Collaboration with environmental scientists, planners, engineers, and other specialists, to address environmental problems.
- Design of control systems including building circuit boards and Arduino based platforms.
- Designing and troubleshooting Arduino based control systems on a wide variety of projects.
- Designing and modifying LabView based software platforms.
- Operation of air quality instrumentation. Operating, maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing complex sampling equipment.
- Originating and/or amend written standard operating procedures, quality assurance plans, and work plans as related to air emissions research tasks.
- Conduct field air sampling studies in different parts of the US (0-25% travel possible).
- Air Quality data handling and data analysis.
- Operating environmental test equipment and collecting data, such as gas emissions, flow rates and temperatures.
- Reviewing data to ensure compliance with project data quality goals and to identify areas for improvement in the quality system.
- Maintaining hard-copy and electronic records of measurement results and reports in accordance with Jacobs Technology and EPA records management protocols.
- Performing all laboratory work in accordance with established Jacobs and EPA safety and quality assurance protocols.
- This person will be continually learning and developing new skill sets as the research objectives change.
- Excellent verbal communication skills in working with peers and client are required.
- Ability to work independently, as well as with a team is required.
Years of experience: 1-5
Education: Minimum of a B.S. degree in Electrical, Electronics, Environmental, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution
Skills required: The ideal candidate will -
- Conduct air quality sampling using a variety of air quality instrumentation. Troubleshoot air quality sampling systems and develop solutions.
- Process large data sets using software packages such as R or MATLAB.
- Develop engineering and software controls for air quality instrumentation.
- Have fluency in using software packages such as R or MATLAB.
- A good understanding of electrical circuits and electronic control systems.
- Have strong written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally the results of research experiments
- Have strong computer skills using Microsoft Office.
- Have the ability to travel and perform field studies at remote sites within the US (up to 30%).
- Have knowledge in the use of hand tools and the ability to set-up hardware required for instruments.
Years of experience: 3-5
Education: B.S or M.S. degree in Instrumentation, Electrical, Electronics, Environmental, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution
- Programming: R Studio, Raspberry Pi, MySQL, PHP Communications Protocols: UART, SPI, SDI, I2C, RS232/422/, OrCAD.
- Knowledge of air quality measurements preferred. Experience operating instrumentation or continuous emission monitors; experience with electronic (emission or diagnostic) analyzers.
- An in-depth understanding of electrical circuits, electrical & electronic components and related softwares.
Posting ID: 552788288Posted: 2020-05-21