Liberty University's hiring practices andEEOStatement are fully in compliance with both federal and state law. Federal law creates an exception to the "religion" component of the employment discrimination laws for religious organizations (including educational institutions), and permits them to give employment preference to members of their own religion. Liberty University is in that category.
Fire Alarm Tech III/Lead
Does this position require driving?
Contact Phone Ext
Job Summary/Basic Function
Responsible for installation, troubleshooting, programming, testing, and inspection of fire alarm systems Campus Wide. Working independently and exercising good judgment and discretion. Responsible for overseeing all Fire alarm related projects and maintenance campus wide.
Must have a High School diploma or educational equivalent. Must have five + years as a Fire Alarm Technician or a related experience and an excellent understanding of Fire Alarm Systems. Have experienced knowledge in Voice Evac operations. Strong installation and troubleshooting experience required. Have experience with Fire Alarms in the Maintenance or Construction environments. Must have Fike, Cybercat, or Cheetah certificate or equivalent certification. State Driver's license and insurable with company's agent. Must be able to understand and follow instructions, and work under limited supervision. Must be able to work well with the public and co-workers and present a positive attitude. Exceptional self-management. Desire to work with a team to accomplish goals. Urgency to grow and improve. Knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and excellent computer skills are required. Clean and professional appearance. Must be courteous, detailed oriented. Self-motivated, diligent, trustworthy, possess strong organizational and planning skills and well-developed communication skills. Must be able to lift up to 50+ pounds and perform duties of the Grounds trade in typical Virginia Climate. Certifications obtained while employed by Liberty University at the expense of the employer will be reimbursed back to the University upon voluntary termination (resignation) for the first 12 months after acquiring it.
1. As Essential Personnel you are expected to be available in the event of school closings, delays, shutdowns and any emergencies including clean up required because of severe weather incidents. Performs snow removal activities as assigned. Such as shoveling, salting, etc. Maintenance Technicians are essential to the overall success of Liberty University and its day-to-day functions, especially during ongoing campus events such as Winter Fest, orientations, Convocation, Commencement, andCFAW, summer camps, amongst other planned and unplanned events throughout the year.
2. Reports to work at the required time and performs duties as assigned by the Fire Alarm Supervisor and/or Maintenance Manager.
3. Inspects buildings for code compliance. Identifies and corrects hazards.
4. Performs annual inspections and preventative maintenance services on fire alarm systems.
5. Installs pull stations, smoke detectors, and duct detectors.
6. Complete work orders on a daily basis.
7. Responsible for assigned vehicle and equipment.
8. Installs, modifies, and maintains, programs and repairs fire alarm panels.
9. Must be able to be on a 7 day "On Call" rotation.
10. Must be able to work 1st or 2nd shift.
11. Performs a variety of tasks as assigned
12. Fills in for Supervisor as needed
13. Schedule Projects and Maintenance for Fire Alarm crews
14. Maintain and file buildingCADfiles
15. Manage Projects in new and existing buildings
16. New and existing building verifications for proper installs
17. Oversee new fire alarm system installs
18. Update drawings on projects that are completed
19. Establish drawings for new buildings
20. Work with Facility Operations AutoCAD technicians on drawing issues
21. Group Safety Coordinator
22. Will provide maintenance and repair for Life Safety Systems such as the Fire Alarms, Generators, Emergency Warning System, and Elevators for Liberty University at any time.
23. Will provide maintenance and repair for Auxiliary Systems such as the JF LibraryASRSand Bowling Alley for Liberty University at any time.
24. Complies with all applicable health and safety regulations, policies, and established work practices.
25. Remains abreast of existing and emerging technologies, processes, products, services and leading industry performance benchmarks.
26. Works effectively as a team member, embracing and fostering LU's mission.
Communication and Comprehension
Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing to convey clear, well articulated information.
Ability to understand, speak, and write English in order to convey messages and correspond in an articulate and professional manner.
Possess public communication skills that allow professional representation of Liberty University to a variety of business and community customers and associates.
Strong organizational skills.
Ability to work independently.
Ability to understand and follow instructions precisely.
Effective organization and planning skills.
Excellent computer skills.
Intuitively able to reason, analyze information and events, and apply judgment in order to solve problems of both a routine and complex nature.
Needs to be able to troubleshoot and execute reasonable plans to fix or repair daily problems with a fire alarm system.
Physical and Sensory Abilities
Regularly required to travel to local and campus locations.
Required daily to sit for short periods to perform daily reports and work orders on a computer.
Regularly required to hear and speak in order to effectively communicate orally.
Regularly required to stand, walk, and climb stairs and ladders to work about the building(s).
Work from ladders and scaffolds or at heights above 30 feet.
Handle materials, reach overhead, kneel or stoop in order to conduct business.
Regularly lift 10 or fewer pounds. Occasionally required to lift up to 50 pounds.
Work is performed within extreme temperature ranges.
The working environment in which one will typically perform the essential functions of this position varies, possible to be in climate-controlled areas or non-climate-controlled areas such as construction sites and outdoors.
Use of one's personal vehicle (or LU vehicles) is required for travel in the performance of the essential functions of this position. Proof of a valid Virginia driver's license, an acceptableDMVrecord, and liability insurance is required.
Monday - Friday
07:00am - 03:30pm
Must be able to work on weekends, holidays, and flexible daily hours as well as various evening hours as needed.
Special Instructions for Applicants
Please include all job duties and gained experience from past employment opportunities.
Licenses/ certifications to attach to your application:
*Current Fike, Cybercat, or Cheetah certificate or equivalent certification
*VA State drivers license
*Any other licenses or certifications that pertain to this trade
Applicant DocumentsRequired DocumentsOptional Documents
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation
- Career Advancement Form (For Current LU Employees ONLY)
- Pastoral Reference Letter
- Professional License(s)