I. Basic Purpose:
Provides nursing care in the CV ICU for patients, focusing on assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of pre- and post-operative cardiac and thoracic surgery care in accordance with established policies, procedures and protocols of the healthcare organization.
II. Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Complies with established corporate and departmental policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance methods, and safety codes. Demonstrates compliance with licensing, regulatory and accrediting agency provisions as required.
2. Consistently demonstrates appropriate and professional communication behavior toward patients, customers, and coworkers. Cooperates with Management and peers to promote an environment of teamwork and collaboration.
3. Implements and monitors patient care plans; monitors, records and communicates patient condition as appropriate. Monitors and documents patient condition and effectiveness of care and/or interventions; evaluates, updates and revises plan of care to facilitate achievement of planned and expected outcomes.
4. Serves as primary coordinator of all disciplines for well-coordinated patient care.
5. Administers prescribed medications and treatments in accordance with approved nursing protocol. Notes and carries out physician and nursing orders.
6. Assesses and coordinates patient's discharge/transfer planning needs with members of the healthcare team.
7. Assesses educational needs of the patient and significant others considering cultural issues and other special concerns. Provides teaching and educational material as appropriate. Validates and documents patient and family understanding of teaching.
8. Uses diagnostic reasoning and decision making skills in the provision of nursing care.
9. Uses interdisciplinary identification, collection and analysis of data to identify desired patient care outcomes; and standards of care.
10. Manages and delivers nursing care to patients, families and SO's.
11. Assists with artery line placement, chest tube placement/removal, intubation/extubation, mechanical ventilation, and cardiac arrest management.
12. Delegates patient care activities and supervises the delegated activities accordingly.
13. Assures that the Florida Nurse Practice Act is the basis of professional nursing practice, and that nursing practice is within legal parameters.
14. Protects the rights of patients and their families.
15. Assures that nursing practice is consistent with the ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses.
16. Assures that nursing practice is research, theory and evidence-based.
17. Maintains professional and clinical competencies through participation in continuous learning activities; develops a mechanism for ongoing self-assessment for career path development.
18. Maintains professional growth and development through ongoing formal and informal education and clinical nursing study. Other duties as assigned
19. Assumes shift and department accountability and responsibility for budget as it relates to patient care requirements by effective use of resources.
20. Assists in the development, implementation and evaluation of goals and objectives for department which provide for optimal patient care through systems which continually monitor and improve the quality of services.
21. Serves on internal departmental, interdepartmental, quality, medical staff, etc committees as required.
22. Implements a patient-focused nursing care model that is collaborative, interdisciplinary, clinically effective and efficient; ensures that this care model is based on approved structure, process, and outcome standards.
23. Maintains competency and safe practice patterns as measured by quality, education, performance improvement, risk management and other trend analysis.
24. Maintains effective working relationships with physicians, employees, auxilians, and members of the community.
25. Maintains annual mandatory education requirements specific to position as mandated by Martin Health System.
26. Performs all other duties as assigned or requested.
III. Minimum Requirements (experience, training, and education):
To effectively fulfill this position, candidate must meet the following requirements:
The Staff Nurse, Patient Services must have graduated from an accredited nursing program, with:
Bachelor's Degree with a Major in Nursing, preferred.
Current/Active State of FL RN License required - primary source online verification required directly from State of Florida Licensing database. A clinical certification is preferred.
Current acceptable CPR certification required: American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Health Care Provider OR American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer OR American Red Cross Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers. ACLS certification required.
Minimum of 1 year of acute care experience is required.
The policy of Cleveland Clinic and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic's Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days. Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic facility.
Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities