We Are Hiring
In Michigan, Ascension operates 16 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ over 20,000 associates. Across the state, Ascension Michigan is working together to help bring patients more resources and better care. Ascension Michigan is also committed to its community; it provided over $272 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in FY2018. Ascension Michigan is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs. Ascension St. Mary's Hospital
is a regional health system offering high quality care in cardiovascular, neurosciences, orthopedics, emergency and trauma, cancer, bariatrics, imaging diagnostics, and primary care. Our medical advancements in cardiac sciences, neurosciences, oncology, and trauma are rivaled only by our compassion to heal body, mind and spirit. A part of Ascension since 1999, we offer 268 beds and over 20 specialty centers to provide access and care for people from over 70 counties.
- More Than a Job: Working for Ascension is more than just a job. It's a career where your talent and passion for delivering quality healthcare can make a difference for patients, team members, and the community.
- Strength in our People: At Ascension, we believe our people are our strength and we invest in them. In addition to the chance to have a positive impact on the people and communities we serve, associates benefit from significant professional opportunities, career advancement, training and competitive wages. We also support work-life balance and spirituality in the workplace.
We are called to:
What We Offer You:
- Service of the Poor - Generosity of spirit, especially for persons most in need
- Reverence - Respect and compassion for the dignity and diversity of life
- Integrity - Inspiring trust through personal leadership
- Wisdom - Integrating excellence and stewardship
- Creativity - Courageous innovation
- Dedication - Affirming the hope and joy of our ministry
What You Will Do
- Competitive compensation
- Professional development
- Wellbeing programs and holistic growth opportunities
- Work-life balance through generous paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Adoption assistance
- Medical, dental, vision and retirement match
This is a remote opportunity fo local residents.
Day schedule, M-F, 8 a.m - 5 p.m
Apply the appropriate diagnostic and procedural code to patient health records for purposes of document retrieval, analysis and claim processing.
What You Will Need
- Abstract pertinent information from patient records. Assign the International Classification of Diseases, Clinical Modification (ICD), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) or Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) codes, creating Ambulatory Patient Classification (APC) or Diagnosis-Related Group (DRG) assignments.
- Perform complex coding.
- Obtain acceptable productivity/quality rates as defined per coding policy.
- Query physicians when code assignments are not straightforward or documentation in the record is inadequate, ambiguous, or unclear for coding purposes.
- Maintain knowledge of, comply with and keep abreast of coding guidelines and reimbursement reporting requirements.
- Conduct chart audits for physician documentation requirements & internal coding; provide associate/physician & education as appropriate.
- Abide by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association and adhere to official coding guidelines.
Licensure / Certification / Registration:
- One or more of the following required:
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) credentialed from the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date.
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) credentialed from the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date.
- Reg Health Info Admnstr credentialed from the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date.
- Reg Health Info Tech credentialed from the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date.
- High school diploma or GED required.
Additional PreferencesWhy Join Our Team
- Experienced Coder in the healthcare industry preferred.
Ascension Michigan employs over 20,000 compassionate caregivers across 16 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities. Our care teams are dedicated to providing spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of the communities we serve. We provide generous paid time off for work-life balance, a collaborative work environment, professional development opportunities and more to help our associates flourish personally and professionally. If you are looking for a rewarding career in healthcare, we invite you to apply today.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all. In FY2020, Ascension provided $2.4 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs. Ascension includes more than 160,000 associates and 40,000 aligned providers across a national network of ministries. We offer rewarding careers across more than 2,600 sites of care – including 146 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities – in 19 states and the District of Columbia. Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Ascension St. Mary is an equal opportunity employer (EEO) and affords equal opportunity to all associates and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the "EEO is the Law" poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
This employer participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.
Right to Work