Job Details Job Profile Summary:
Provides direct patient care based upon nursing assessment to patients who have a variety of medical and/or surgical conditions, from adolescent to geriatric, following established standards, department guidelines and hospital policies and procedures. Utilizes the nursing process which includes: patient advocacy, maintenance of aseptic technique, medication administration, documentation of treatments and care, management of equipment, patient safety and monitoring of vital signs. Coordinates care with other disciplines related to patient education and care goals for discharge and optimal health status. Responsibilities:
- With guidance from Director, leads or coordinates multiple projects and policy initiatives.
- Associate's Degree required.
- Effective 7/1/19, new hires required obtain BSN within three (3) years of hire/ transfer to position.
Complexity of Work:
- May require license based on department/Institute need.
All employees are expected to meet the standards of performance outlined in the Organizational-Wide Competencies listed below as applied to the position:
Age Specific: is cognizant and demonstrates ability to alter communication patterns related to patient's age and developmental level.
World Class Service Orientation: Demonstrates courteous, polite, friendly and cooperative behaviors toward others.
Supports and participates in activities that promote customer satisfaction. Utilizes approved hospital scripts.
Courteously answers the telephone utilizing approved script (department, name and "How can I help you").
Assists in answering call lights when on the nursing units (includes ancillary and non-patient care personnel).
Answers call lights within 4 rings.
Acknowledges patients/guests/others immediately upon entering the department/work area.
Communicates and follows the organizational chain of command for notification of patient care/service issues, when appropriate. (Calls are answered within 4 rings.)
Attitude: Chooses to have a positive attitude every day.
Customer waiting: Updates waiting patient/family per protocol. (Scheduled visit every 10 minutes, unscheduled every 30 minutes).
Adaptability: Exhibits good communication and listening skills. Speaks clearly, actively listens. Able to work with diverse populations (patient, staff, physicians) under difficult and stressful situations. Supports the team approach.
Committed to Customer Service standards.
Encourages patients and family members to ask questions.
Teamwork: Understands and supports the needs of individuals in other departments, works as a team to achieve mutual goals.
Offers assistance and promptly responds to requests (patient, physician, manager and others).
Performs any other duties or responsibilities that may be assigned. Carries Spectralink phone at all times.
Updates patient boards with numbers. (Appropriate personnel).
Attends 90% of all staff meetings. Participates in coordination/delivery of approved Facility events.
Efficiency and Effectiveness: Offers suggestions for departmental and/or hospital-wide performance/process improvement. Intervenes to correct problems (patient and system) as they occur. Notifies manager/director of actions and outcome. Participates in the performance/process improvement process. Completes required logs and quality controls as per hospital/department requirements (crash cart, 24 hour chart check, narcotic count, point of
care testing, etc.).
Work Habits: Readily accepts work assignments in a positive manner. Performs work that is accurate, neat and consistent. Documentation is legible.
Safety: Keeps work area neat and maintains equipment in accordance with health and safety codes. Uses Standard precautions in all patient contacts. Provides a safe environment for patients/family and visitors, and reports safety issues and equipment failures appropriately.
Confidentiality: Sensitive information including, but not limited to, patient records, charts, hospital documents and employee information is kept confidential without exception, according to HIPAA guidelines. Ensures that the rights of all patients are respected and maintained by allowing for privacy, cultural diversity and dignity in the provision of care. Demonstrates organizational skills in the form of prioritization and time management.
Job Requirements: Policies/Procedures: Is aware of and follows all hospital, corporate,regional, and departmental policies and procedures.
Appearance: Projects a professional image, follows the hospital dress code policy and/or department requirements. Wears hospital ID badge at all times on duty.
Attendance: Employee reports to work each regularly scheduled work day. Does not take advantage of sick time. (To score a 3, employee must have no absences for the year).
Punctuality: Clocks in by the scheduled start time of the shift and is ready for work. Continues working until scheduled departure time. Leaves as scheduled unless overtime is approved by supervisor.
Managerial Responsibilities: Makes suggestions to reduce waste. Ensures that personnel and supplies of the organization are used in a cost effective manner. Identifies cost saving strategies for department/hospital. Submits accurate and timely hospital charges for department/hospital. Offers opinions and information that reflect positively on Cleveland Clinic Hospital. Will take the time to speak with an employee (privately) if they observe or overhear
that an employee is not being an ambassador of the hospital. Understands how individual job performance affects department and hospital growth. Identifies and communicates opportunities to improve service or care. Participates in hospital/departmental committees to improve service and streamline organizational processes.
Note: The above stated duties are intended to outline those functions typically performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This description of duties is not intended to be allinclusive or to limit the discretionary authority of supervisors to assign other tasks of similar nature or level of responsibility.Work Experience:
- For RN Specialty /Telemetry: Minimum 2 years of acute care experience in areas utilizingtelemetry monitoring such as: cardiac, step-down, medical / surgical telemetry units.
- For RN Specialty/Critical Care/ED: At least 2 years of acute care experience in the relevantspecialty area (ICU, Emergency Room)required.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Requires frequent walking from department to department.
- Requires sitting at a work-station or desk.
- Requires standing.
- Work may include occasional pushing and/or pulling, lifting, and carrying objects weighing upto 50 pounds, such as files, documents and computer printouts.
- Work requires finger dexterity and eye/hand coordination to operate a computer keyboard at amoderate skill level.
- Mental Demands: Ability to work at a fast pace and prioritize multiple assignments/projectsand respond to numerous requests; ability to resolve conflicts among staff and to workcollaboratively with department directors, physicians and other members of the healthcareteam; ability to ensure operational efficiency; ability to problem-solve and make decisions;ability to exercise self-control and tolerate stress when dealing with multiple requests and/or conflicting demands from multiple customers.
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.