BAE Systems is seeking an executive-level, strategic-minded engineering leader who will work with senior industry and government leaders to support systems engineering, integration, and test activities related to ongoing sustainment and future design iterations of the TRIDENT D5 Missile.
The goal of a missile life extension program is to provide a cost-effective, credible, adaptable, and effective Strategic Weapon System (SWS) that can be deployed throughout the service life of future SSBNs. This goal must be met in the face of changing and uncertain mission needs, emerging threats, technology evolution, and industrial base erosion. A thorough and effective systems engineering approach will be critical to developing the right Strategic Weapon System (SWS) technical solution that satisfies these evolving future needs while reducing risk by leveraging enabling technologies and design approaches of legacy missiles where appropriate.
For over 60 years, BAE Systems has served as the sole-source Weapons System Integration Agent for the U.S. Navy's Strategic Systems Program (SSP) office. As the premier strategic deterrent integration expert, BAE Systems partners with various technical branches and industry partner OEMs across SSP to define, plan, and execute systems engineering, integration, and test activities related to the deployment of existing and future weapon systems on submarine platforms. The selected individual will work closely with SSP Government and industry partners to transform legacy systems engineering, integration, and test capabilities into model-based systems engineering methodologies that enable SSP to continue to be the DoD's premier Weapon System Integrator (WSI). The selected candidate will be responsible for:
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- The System Integration and Verification vision and direction for Weapon System Development lifecycle.
- Embracing Model Based Engineering principles set forth by the Systems Engineering Transformation Team.
- Following a systematic buildup approach from component testing, unit/device testing, subsystem verification, and system validation.
- Ensuring that the right side of the traditional systems engineering "V" is represented in the system models and that any associated functional simulations will provide the data needed for the system verification and validation activities.
- Leveraging system, functional and analytical models in order to initiate early weapon system integration and conduct evaluation efforts during the left side of the "V".
- Performing day-to-day management of the IPT and work with the SSP team to develop long-term and strategic objectives to ensure that end user requirements will be satisfied in future years of the contract.
- Performing horizontal integration planning, and interface with other functional areas, ensuring that technical solutions and schedules are implemented in a timely manner.
- Acting independently to uncover and resolve issues associated with the development and implementation of IPT projects.
- Conducting customer visits and performs research to understand current and emerging customer needs and requirements.
- Attending customer staff meetings and meets frequently with the customer technical leads.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Ability to operate across the tactical and strategic levels.
- Proven experience in System Integration, System Verification and System Test across the entire SE lifecycle in various environments: virtual (modeling and simulation), hardware in the loop test beds, shipyard or installation environment or in operational environment.
- Technically proficient – experienced in modern weapon systems engineering best practices, applications, etc. Must be able to identify problems early and be capable of providing the forum for technical interchange and coordination of subsystem integration and test activities among the technical branches and prime contractors.
- Exhibit sound interpersonal skills involving interfacing, coordinating and negotiating with company personnel, customers and suppliers.
- Minimum 15 years' experience in DoD/Navy program or technical management, Industry or Government technical management.
- Active DoD Secret clearance or higher, eligible for upgrade to Top Secret
- Bachelor's Degree in a technical and relevant discipline with 10 or more years of demonstrable related experience, including supervision/management experience.
- Minimum 5 years experience in communicating, interacting, and working among Senior Executive Service and Flag level personnel.
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security
- Ability to coordinate between the test community and the Model Based Engineering (MBE) systems engineering community in a constant feedback loop to ensure that the system is modeled correctly and the necessary evaluations are performed to optimize, verify and validate weapon system performance.
- Ability to exhibit an exceptional degree of ingenuity, creativity, and resourcefulness.
- Ability to apply and/or develop highly integrated plans from program principles and concepts meeting program objectives.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relations with customers to solve technical problems and implement solutions of extremely high complexity.
- Ability to oversee the successful conduct of analyses/studies that provide specialized information to support the development and implementation of balanced system designs.
- Ability to ensure that technical outcomes are consistent with established engineering principles and practices and that customer and company technical, system, performance, and quality requirements are met.
- Ability to analyze, evaluate, develop and implement processes and systems within budget and adhere to time requirements and schedule, determine risk and meet with Technical Task Leaders and Subcontractor Assistant PMs to execute program.
- Familiarity with US Navy Strategic Systems Programs
- PMP Certification
- CSEP Certification
- MIT MBSE Certification
- Master's degree in engineering, management, business or related fields
- Active Top Secret clearance
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it's what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you'll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels.
At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.