Under the direct supervision of the PBS Collections Manager, this position is responsible for the day to day operations of the Collection Department to ensure they are in compliance with organizational & industry standards. Supervises the collection team staff activities that promote best practices for collection efficiency & maximization of revenue. Supervises daily activities of the hourly staff to ensure maximum collection of all receivable revenue & miscellaneous revenue. Identifies quality issues, advises management & implements solutions. Builds an effective team by demonstrating team leadership, budget development & management, work plan development & project implementation skills. Creates strong customer service orientation & collaboration, results orientation & strategic thinking within the Collections unit.
- Provides overall supervision of the collections department, contributes & ensures accurate & timely collection of all appropriate revenue for PBS.
- Recruits & maintains a competent, motivated & qualified staff including disciplining, counseling, coaching, advising, training, termination & resolution of personnel issues.
- Conducts performance evaluations for staff.
- Monitors & measures collection performance against cash performance targets by collector, by payer category, by medical center & division, & maintains communication between the collections teams & service area PBS teams.
- Identifies & develops new products & services to enhance recoveries.
- Communicates updated procedures & information to all involved parties.
- Ensures effective financial management of Accounts Receivable, to include financial tracking & analysis of financial recoveries & performance.
- Plans & implements departmental programs & systems that provide analytical support on financial issues.
- Authorizes refunds, write offs & adjustments up to a specified amount.
- Provides consulting expertise to business function areas & coordinates/conducts required training as identified from various sources or externally m&ated requirements; stays abreast of all regulatory changes & requirements; implements & communicates changes to department & service area staff within PBS.
- Ensures timely & accurate processing of industrial, TPL, COB, commercial insurance, Medi-Cal, & outpatient Medicare & self pay accounts in accordance with best practices, defined process flows & procedures & applicable legislative & regulations.
- Ensures consistent application of processing procedures, policies & personnel practices among the employees on the collection team & promotes organization & division strategic objectives.
- Supervises the work of the staff in maintaining high quality of work with revenue enhancement & customer service focus, through monitoring operational performance, & implementation & improvement options for either/or Northern & Southern California.
- Ensures consistent application of divisional wide operational practices, policies & procedures.
- Develops, recommends, implements & monitors goals, objectives, & performance st&ards Tracks & analyzes financial recoveries of outside vendors, ensuring effective performance.
- Plans, develops, & implements administrative strategies consistent with business plans, organizational goals, health plan member service agreements & federal & state law.
- Ensures appropriate financial reporting & accounting of revenue.
- Ensures preparation of Northern &/or Southern California general accounting documents for monthly revenue & PBS financial reports.
- This job description is not all encompassing.
- Minimum three (3) years experience leading, managing and supervising staff, preferably in a healthcare environment.
- Bachelor's degree required, OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Collection Management experience in a health care setting.
- Familiarity with specific lines of business (e.g. billing, collections, governmental programs, etc).
- Knowledge of applicable state and federal regulations related to billing and collections.
- Knowledge in budgeting and accounting principles and of personnel/labor laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of systems requirement development and user acceptance testing.
- Excellent negotiating and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills in dealing with employees and all levels of management. User knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software and mainframe systems.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and excellent presentation skills.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of the relationship between management and union contracts and work within the parameters of the Labor management partnership, preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Minimum five (5) years management experience preferred.
- Healthcare collections experience is preferred.
Primary Location: California,Pasadena,East Annex - Parsons 75 N. Fair Oaks Ave. Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40 Shift: Day Workdays: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri Working Hours Start: 8:00 AM Working Hours End: 5:00 PM Job Schedule: Full-time Job Type: Standard Employee Status: Regular Employee Group/Union Affiliation: Salaried, Non-Union, Exempt Job Level: Team Leader/Supervisor Job Category: Accounting, Finance and Actuarial Services Department: Patient Financial Services Dept- Medicaid Unit Travel: No Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.