Description: This position provides strategic leadership to drive performance initiatives and workforce strategies across NCAL Region-s 21 Medical Centers. Reporting to the Regional Chief Nurse Executive (CNE) and working collaboratively with medical center CNEs, this position ensures consistency of operational systems and processes in order to maximize the quality of patient care and meet affordability goals of KFH/P.Participates in the growth and professional development of medical center CNEs and fosters ongoing succession planning for the CNE role.Works collaboratively with HR to develop workforce recruitment and retention strategies and with regional Labor Relations and TPMG to provide leadership in contract negotiations, consistency in contract adherence and discipline.
- Executes strategies to provide consistent operational and affordability practices across KP Northern California, in collaboration with local/regional/national finance, CNEs and Area Managers, including TPMG and continuum leadership.
- Partners with Medical Center leadership to develop and monitor short and long-term affordability and operational plans related to nursing services.
- Identifies appropriate metrics required to strengthen the performance of NCAL Region-s medical centers, including Magnet-s required nursing sensitive quality indicators, nurse satisfaction survey and patient satisfaction measures.
- Participates in the development, implementation, utilization and evaluation of cost-effective medical center programs, policies and procedures that address and promote high quality nursing care, treatment and the service needs of the patient population.
- Directs ongoing and continuous updates to policies and procedures, and informs training and education, orientation materials for new nurse managers and CNEs, staffing offices, directors and administrators.
- Participates in patient care workforce planning efforts in conjunction with the medical center CNE-s through supplemental staffing, recruitment, retention, forecasting, and staff development.
- Fosters advocacy for fair and appropriate allocation of resources during annual budgets as well as in the daily review of posting requisitions.
- Proactively partners with the education community, Northern California HR, unions, and other KFH/HP departments to formulate strategies for workforce planning, nursing, professional staff retention and development and enhanced workforce competence.
- Participates in the development and monitoring of consistent labor contracts implementation in collaboration with Labor Relations and the CNE-s. Provides oversight to the daily and strategic management of labor relations issues associated with nursing.
- Champions change, collaborates, and participates with quality and other regional leadership groups to produce improved patient care outcomes in the hospitals and across the continuum of care.
- Provides performance leadership to specialty and functional PCS peer groups to ensure achievement of clinical, quality, and affordability outcomes..
-Builds relationships, aligns work and goals, across multi-functional teams to achieve KP-s mission and strategic objectives.
- Hires, performs disciplinary actions, provides employee training and development and conducts performance assessments for assigned staff.
- Develops and monitors the payroll, non-payroll and capital budgets and expenditures for assigned areas.
- Provides leadership for the Regional PCS annual budget process.
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience in progressively responsible clinical and managerial roles in a complex health care system and multi-service provider setting required
- Master-s degree required
License, Certification, Registration
- Current California RN license required.
- National certification as a Nurse Executive or Nurse Executive Advanced, or equivalent national certification, required within six (6) months of a newly hired incumbent assuming position.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead patient care services in a union environment.
- Demonstrated competencies in health system and workforce management, organizational change and the ability to function effectively in a multi-facility, highly complex organization.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated effective presentation skills
- Demonstrated critical thinking, influencing, problem solving and analytical skills required.
- Demonstrated collaborative leadership style which promotes and fosters teamwork to achieve results.
- Thorough knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations such as: Knox-Keene Act, NCQA, Federal HMO Act, Public Employees Medical and Hospital Act, The Joint Commission standards and all applicable Medicare and Medi-Cal regulations.
- Previous experience as a Chief Nursing Officer in a multi-specialty hospital preferred but not required.
- MSN preferred.
- DNP/PhD strongly preferred.
Primary Location: California,Oakland,1950 Franklin 1950 Franklin Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40 Shift: Day Workdays: Mon - Fri Working Hours Start: 8:00 AM Working Hours End: 5:00 PM Job Schedule: Full-time Job Type: Standard Employee Status: Regular Employee Group/Union Affiliation: Non-Union, Non-Exempt Job Level: Director/Senior Director Job Category: Healthcare / Hospital Operations Department: Hospital Operations Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.