Job DescriptionJob Title:
Registered Nurse - 5E Med/Surg TelemetryJob ID:
, Altoona PA Description
5E Med/Surg Telemetry
.9 Night 7p-7a w/ rotation
5E is a 20- bed adult Medical/Surgical telemetry monitoring capable inpatient nursing unit. We see a variety of patients with varying medical issues which allows for a nurse to develop a well- rounded skill set. The variety in patients will keep your passion burning and eliminate the monotony of caring for the same patient types every day.
Our nurses are required to obtain trauma education and certification within one year of hire as we are a preferred unit for medical/surgical trauma patients.
What makes 5E an exceptional place to work? We have a team of amazing caregivers who collaborate to provide excellent care to our diverse patient population. Our wide variety of patients offers each nurse the opportunity to experience various clinical experiences daily.
As a team member on 5E, you will enjoy a supportive team environment, a leadership team that is invested in your growth, and diverse learning opportunities. Purpose:
Provides direct and indirect care to patients utilizing the nursing process. Provides leadership for the nursing team, and contributes to the education of a variety of members of the staff and students. Responsibilities:
- Implementation:a. Utilizes nursing care protocols and standards.b. Carries out and documents procedures according to Hospital Policy.c. Performs technical skills safely and accurately, and demonstrates a working knowledge of equipment.d. Transcribes and implements physicians' orders appropriately.e. Demonstrates knowledge of the physiological basis for the nursing care delivery.f. Demonstrates knowledge of medication and IV therapy administration according to policy.g. Initiates and coordinates health teaching for patients and families/significant other based on individual needs.
- Engages the medical staff and other professionals in discussion of patient care problems resulting in mutually developed plans of care.
- Utilizes Bed Management System, Alpha, CPOE, and all other computer systems appropriately,
- Assessmenta. Assesses patient and family needs and documents this information appropriately in the computer or on appropriate form.b. Reassesses patient every eight hours, and, as necessary.
- Planning:a.Includes the patient and family/significant other in the formulation of the plan of care.b. Prioritizes patient's needs appropriately.c. Plans, conducts, and documents patient care conferences.d. Maintains a current plan of care for each assigned patient.e. Utilizes appropriate community agencies and other health care professionals in planning care.
- Evaluationa.Revises plan of care, as necessary based on daily evaluation of patient.b.Evaluates patient's outcome based on previously defined goals.c.Evaluates and documents the patient's response to care, teaching, and treatment.
- Adheres to universal precautions.Identified potential problems and initiates appropriate measures.Identifies environmental factors which deter effective patient care, initiates action, and contributes ideas towards resolution.
- Complies with established occupational exposure policies.
- Completes annual competency validation activities.
- Maintains proficiency and competency in point of care testing as defined in the evaluation criteria established by the laboratory.
- Demonstrates professionalism in providing patient care.
QualificationsEducation and Formal Training Required:
- Serves as a consultant to other members of the health-care team.
- Must hold a current license to practice nursing in the State of Pennsylvania
- must satisfactorily complete the Nursing Department's orientation program and probationary period.
- Must complete NIHSS education prior to end of orientation period, if required.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- ACLS preferred, BLS required. PALS for specific units.
- When assigned to STICU, T14-Surgical, T11, 5E, SPCU, must complete the Trauma Nurse Course within one year of hire.
- Must maintain six stroke and six trauma competencies per year.
- Must attend Trauma Symposium yearly.
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance
GN level candidate starting rate - $26.31 (BSN $27.56)
Experienced RN starting rate - starting rate commensurate with experience (BSN differential: $1.25)
When you are ready to take your career to the next level, UPMC Altoona has a RN Career Ladder, which allows you to enhance your practice and receive additional compensation! Ask your recruiter for details! Salary Range:
$0 / hourUnion Position:
For the best application experience, we encourage you to apply for this job from a non-mobile device.
Posting ID: 554844672Posted: 2020-07-01