- Position Summary
- This is the first level of a 4-tier career path. Under the general direction of the Coding Director, this position is responsible for the accurate assignment of ICD-9-CM (ICD-10-CM) and CPT-4 coding of diagnoses and procedures for outpatient medical records including Outpatient Hospital Clinics, ASU, IV Therapy, Emergency Department and other areas as needed; abstracting to determine accuracy and completeness of the outpatient record utilizing 3M Coding Reimbursement and/or Optum, and Epic Systems to compile data. The Coder I evaluates medical necessity and Correct Coding Initiative edits and resolves them. Data reported is used to meet licensure requirements, statistical purposes and reimbursement purposes.
- Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Education: Associates degree in a science field strongly preferred with completion of an accredited program through AHIMA or AAPC.
- Certification: CCA, CCS, RHIT, RHIA and/or Certified Professional Coder (CPC) credential required.
- Experience: Completion of the MH Coder I apprenticeship program or 1-2 years' experience coding in an outpatient setting using 3M Coding and/or Optum Reimbursement encoder and CAC products. Utilization of Epic EMR system is preferred.
- Proficiencies: Demonstrated, applied knowledge of ICD-9-CM (ICD-10-CM) and CPT-4 coding guidelines and principles required.
- Specialized Knowledge: Ability to apply broad guidelines to specific coding situations, independently, utilizing discretion and a significant level of analytical ability. Good understanding of Anatomy and Physiology as well as Pharmacology.
We offer benefits that support an individual's needs for today and flexibility to plan for tomorrow. Our package includes health and dental insurances, paid parental leave, retirement program, generous paid time off, and much more! Our comprehensive array of benefits are competitive, affordable, and include choices that meet specific, but ever changing, needs.
MaineHealth is a not-for-profit integrated health system consisting of eight local hospital systems, a comprehensive behavioral healthcare network, diagnostic services, home health agencies, and over 19,000 employees. It is the largest health system in northern New England and provides preventive care, diagnosis and treatment to 1.1 million residents in Maine and New Hampshire.
With a career at any of the MaineHealth locations, you'll be working with healthcare professionals that truly value the people around them - both within the walls of the organization and the neighborhoods that surround it. We are deeply invested in the wellbeing of our communities and employees. We believe in fostering a work environment of strong commitment, compassionate caring and continuous improvement. Our care - and the science behind that care - is top rate. Join us and your abilities will be challenged and enhanced as you take your career to another level.
Posting ID: 554844898Posted: 2020-06-24