- Position Summary
- The first level of a three level career path. Schedules, Pre-Registers, Registers and admits patients to the hospital. Serves as the first contact for many patients. Must convey a caring and professional attitude for all patients and visitors. Determines insurance coverage, eligibility and performs required pre-authorization procedures. Maintains patient care unit control for all bedded units. Provides comprehensive financial counseling and assistance. Establishes and monitors each patient's account prior to their visit, during inpatient stays, and up to 5 days post discharge. Ensures the accuracy of the patient's unique identification number and the demographic and financial information use to create an electronic bill. Informs patient of estimated financial responsibilities and collects up-front payments and Co-payments based on the estimate.
Current MaineHealth employees not eligible for the sign on bonus. Must be separated from MaineHealth system for 3 months to be eligible.
- Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Education: High school graduate or GED.
- Licensure: None required.
- Certification: None required.
- Health industry experience preferred.
- Customer service in a clinical setting preferred.
- Able to work in a high volume, fast paced work environment and perform and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Keyboard and data entry skills required. Computer experience is required with Microsoft Word, e-mail, and internet communication, as well as the ability to work effectively with electronic work quality monitoring and electronic systems.
- Ability to deal effectively with verbally offensive and/or distressed patients and their families.
- Requires the employee to have experience with or the capability to be trained to a high degree of in analytical and complex problem solving.
- Mathematical skills sufficient to calculate financial formulas to support applications for Free Care eligibility.
- Must have the interpersonal skills to deal effectively, cordially and compassionately with a diverse group of patients, physicians, other staff personnel as well as outside hospitals, agencies and the general public. These skills must include the capacity to be sensitive to the individual problems of each patient in obtaining patient information while maintaining a high level of accuracy, solving complex patient placement and payment problems.
- Must have strong customer service skills with the sensitivity and intuition to detect hidden stresses of problems with the ability to be resourceful and creative in their resolution. Must maintain a high energy and positive outlook, as well as a calm an impartial response in dealing with a wide variety of complains, personalities, levels of stress, complicated situations, illness and urgent demands.
- Ability to learn how to accurately identify the correct insurance payor out of the constantly changing insurance products, each with potentially multiple and differing contracts applies to the patient being registered.
- Specialized Knowledge: None required.
We offer benefits that support an individual's needs for today and flexibility to plan for tomorrow. Our package includes health and dental insurances, paid parental leave, retirement program, generous paid time off, and much more! Our comprehensive array of benefits are competitive, affordable, and include choices that meet specific, but ever changing, needs.
MaineHealth is a not-for-profit integrated health system consisting of eight local hospital systems, a comprehensive behavioral healthcare network, diagnostic services, home health agencies, and over 19,000 employees. It is the largest health system in northern New England and provides preventive care, diagnosis and treatment to 1.1 million residents in Maine and New Hampshire.
With a career at any of the MaineHealth locations, you'll be working with healthcare professionals that truly value the people around them - both within the walls of the organization and the neighborhoods that surround it. We are deeply invested in the wellbeing of our communities and employees. We believe in fostering a work environment of strong commitment, compassionate caring and continuous improvement. Our care - and the science behind that care - is top rate. Join us and your abilities will be challenged and enhanced as you take your career to another level.
Posting ID: 554844980Posted: 2020-05-27