At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
The Space Components Division is seeking a Machinist Level 3
to join our team. This position could be located in San Diego, CA
and will be on 2nd shift
As a Machinist, you will set up and operates a variety of machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, planers, and precision grinders to make metal parts, mechanisms, tools, or machines to exacting tolerances and dimensions. Interprets blueprints, sketches, and engineering specifications; determines sequence of operations, number of cuts required, and method of setup; uses a variety of machinist hand tools and precision measuring instruments; makes standard shop computations relating to dimensions of work, tooling, feeds, and speeds; measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points to lay out stock for machining; fits and assembles precision parts into mechanical equipment and determines material, parts, and equipment required. Some machines may be numerically controlled. May monitor and verify quality in accordance with statistical process or other control procedures. Typically requires completion of a formal apprenticeship or equivalent training and experience. JOB Responsibilities
Qualifications :basic Qualifications
- Plan machining by studying work orders, blueprints, engineering plans, materials, specifications, and machining parameters; interpreting geometric dimensions and tolerances (GD&T).
- Set up and run multiple production machines. Performs machine operations where the materials, tooling, and sequence of operations have been pre-planned and established. Makes necessary machine adjustments and reports improper machine functioning or cutting action for correction.
- Align and fasten work using standard fixtures and established methods.
- Install and adjust cutting tools consistent with type and size of material being machined.
- Follow established manufacturing methods using standard production machines, materials, and tooling.
- Adjust feeds, speeds, and depth of cut to machine quality parts, per documentation.
- Operate hand and power tools to deburr precision and complex machine parts in accordance with semi-complicated engineering blueprints and route sheets to close tolerances.
- Inspect parts for conformance to specifications using measuring instruments such as gages, calipers, micrometers and comparators.
- Routinely maintain equipment to ensure cleanliness, accuracy, and reliability specific requirements.
- Actively implement lean initiatives by identifying and providing suggestions on areas for improvement. Effectively applies lean concepts and tools in work area.
- Observe all company policies and procedures, including safety rules, and maintains a clean and orderly work area.
- Perform other related responsibilities, as requested.
- High School diploma or equivalent/GED
- 7+ years of experience of developing prototype programs on 3 Axis CNC vertical machining centers.
- Able to make machine set ups.
- Able to efficiently manage project tasks from design reviews through project completion.
- Demonstrates effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, as well as the ability to work in a team environment.
- Able to work with guidance in a team environment.
- Reads and follows blueprints, specifications, and verbal instructions.
- Has working knowledge of machine shop mathematics, may include trigonometry.
- Experience providing CNC programming support
- Associates Degree or Trade School certification
- CNC Programming experience
- Experience with composite manufacturing
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.