Are you ready to be professionally challenged? Are you looking to be part of a dynamic team of engaged and committed professionals? Then the Health and Specialty Care System (HSCS) may be just the place for you! The HSCS is comprised of nine psychiatric hospitals located throughout the state, and one youth residential psychiatric center in Waco. The HSCS is a hub of excellence for forensic mental health and complex psychiatric care, with all facilities accredited by The Joint Commission. The hospitals provide state-of-the-art treatment that is recovery-oriented and science-based. Whether in a direct-care or support role, your contribution will make a difference in the life of a Texan.
Nurse III works under the direct supervision of the Director of Quality Management. Responsible for coordinating and overseeing the planning, implementation and evaluation of services and programs within the hospital for the purposes of meeting internal and external performance improvement initiatives and compliance with Joint Commission and CMS standards, with a particular emphasis on those related to Nursing functions. Will be actively engaged in teaching and training hospital staff in applicable standards and processes to achieve the hospital's objectives. Will assist with Nursing and Restraint/Seclusion Quality System Oversight (QSO) audits and ongoing tracers involving nursing services. Will assist in the creation of policies and procedures, preparing presentations for Board meetings and assisting with special projects. Will serve on select hospital committees. This position is required to drive a state owned vehicle.
Essential Job Functions:
Attends work on a regular basis and may be required to work a specific shift schedule or, at times, even a rotating schedule, extended shift and/or overtime in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned.
1. Works with San Antonio State Hospital (SASH) Nursing (and other clinical departments/units as needed) to improve performance and documentation of clinical care. Audits, collects data from departments and analyzes to identify trends and potential problem areas. Develops reports for the unit/department/leadership and assists in developing action plans as needed. Participates in the Nursing Documentation workgroup to improve documentation processes.
2. Assists the Director of Quality Management in overseeing the overall program planning and evaluation of Quality Management (QM) activities in order to remain in compliance with Joint Commission and CMS. Responsible for ongoing activities to ensure continuous readiness for surveys. Will perform or assist in hospital system tracers including Nursing, Medication Management and Infection Control. May also perform patient tracers to include fall risks, choke risks, dental care, restraints and medical referrals to community facilities, etc.
3. Assists in monthly Nursing Documentation and Restraint/Seclusion QSO audits. Analyzes data and coordinates with Nursing Education regarding training needs identified in QSO or other audits. Acts as a liaison between Nursing and QM to problem solve deficiencies. The Registered Nurse's (RN) knowledge of nursing documentation requirements (including the Restraint/Seclusion requirements) will enable him/her to relate as a peer and subject matter expert to other RNs.
4. Prepares presentations for Board meetings, Executive Committee, Medical Staff Executive Committee, and Nursing Leadership meetings. Will present QSO findings, local hospital indicators and performance improvement activities (i.e., critical vital signs, medication consents, etc.) on a monthly basis to Executive Committee, MSEC, the medical staff and Nursing Leadership. Performance Improvement reports and Oryx Indicators will be presented on a quarterly basis; Board meetings twice per year.
5. Will conduct Root Cause Analyses teams as needed, completing the RCA within 45 days for presentation to MSEC. Will audit action items identified in the RCA and report to leadership on progress.
6. Serves a member of hospital committees as assigned. Generally appointed to Infection Control, P&T, Executive Committee, and Medical Staff Executive Committee. Also will serve on the Nursing Documentation workgroup and other workgroups as assigned.
8. Completes special projects as assigned. Will assist in gathering information regarding any sentinel events, complaints, etc. Assists in developing Plans of Correction as required.
Other duties as assigned include but are not limited to actively participating and/or serving in a supporting role to meet the agency's obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
1. Knowledge of nursing techniques and practices.
2. Knowledge of health care laws and regulations.
3. Knowledge of state nursing documentation requirements.
4. Knowledge of Joint Commission and CMS standards.
5. Knowledge of Performance Improvement processes.
6. Skill in computer usage utilizing Word, PowerPoint, Excel.
7. Skill in nursing techniques.
8. Ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal formats.
9. Ability to prepare and maintain records.
10. Ability to evaluate nursing (or other clinical) services through the analysis of statistical studies.
11. Ability to develop in-service training and teach.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
1. Must be registered as a registered nurse in the State of Texas or a state that recognizes reciprocity through the Nurse Licensure Compact.
2. Must possess valid Texas driver's license or obtain it no later than 90 days after hire date. Applicants with an out-of-state driver's license must provide an original certified driving record from the state of driving licensure. Eligible driving record required based on HHSC Fleet Management policy.
Initial Selection Criteria:
1. Registered as a registered nurse in the State of Texas or a state that recognizes reciprocity through the Nurse Licensure Compact.
2. Experience in nursing work.
Applicants must pass a fingerprint criminal background check, pre-employment drug screen, and registry checks including the Client Abuse/Neglect Reporting System (CANRS), Nurse Aid, Medication Aide and Employee Misconduct, and HHS OIG list of Excluded Individuals/Entities. Males between the ages of 18-25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
All applicants must be at least 18 years of age to be considered for employment at a state-operated facility.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, healthcare workers are considered to be at significant risk for acquiring or transmitting hepatitis B, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chicken pox), tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), and influenza. All of these diseases are vaccine-preventable. As a result, state hospital policy requires employees be vaccinated according to their level of contact with patients. In the event you choose to not be immunized for the influenza virus, you may be required to wear a mask and take other protective measures.
Military occupation(s) that relate to the initial selection criteria and registration or licensure requirements for this position may include, but not limited to: 68C, 66N/P/W, 290X, 46FX, 46NX, 46SX. All active duty military, reservists, guardsmen, and veterans are encouraged to apply if qualified to fill this position. For more information see the Texas State Auditor's Military Crosswalk at http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx.
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation with you on your first day of work.
I-9 Form - Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.