Duke University Hospital
is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers. Duke Nursing Highlights:
Nursing Care Assistant I / Health Unit Coordinator - Duke University Health System
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognizedeach year as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
Duke University Health System seeks to hire a Nursing Care Assistant I - Health Unit Coordinator who will embrace our mission of Transforming Lives Transforming Care. Job Summary:
Prepare patients, equipment and supplies for specific procedures and provide manual assistance as required. Obtain and record patient data for medical records noting and informing RN/LPN of information collected. Administer treatment and personal care procedures to patients including, but not limited to, feeding, bathing, shaving, changing clothing, cleaning and trimming fingernails, bed-making, assisting with ambulation, enemas, skin care, and bowel and bladder elimination; provide such additional care as required to meet the personal needs and comfort of assigned patients. Participate in teaching activities by reinforcing teaching instructed by RN and/or physician as needed. Assist physician and nurses with physical examinations by helping position patients, changing non-sterile dressing and weighing patients. Take and record vital signs, record I&O, apply ice bags, administer douches and enemas. Note and report any changes in patient's condition. Turn and position patients, set up and feed patients as necessary, provide patients with fresh drinking water. Perform finger sticks for blood glucose testing, with appropriate training. Assist with admission, discharge, and transportation of patients. Follow standard precautions and use personal protective equipment as required. Collect, deliver and conduct routine tests on patient specimens. Clean assigned area; stock and replenish supplies and equipment as required. Participate in own professional development by maintaining required skills validation and attending educational offerings. Support the development of other staff and formal learners. May also perform sterile dressing change for wounds over 48 hours old, IV fluid assistance activities, oral/nasogastric feeding and urinary catherizations/irrigation. Perform other related duties incidental to work described herein.
This position collaborates with healthcare providers by performing a variety of clerical duties to support patient care. Duties include greeting patients and visitors, answering the telephone, responding to patient's requests, accessing the electronic medical record (EMR), scheduling appointments and providing general clerical support as needed by the department. This position will consistently exhibits excel lent customer service skills. Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
Licensure, Education and Certification Required:
- Sterile techniques and special procedures that are applicable to work performed
- Procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to patients
- Principles and practices of providing nonprofessional bedside patient care
- Sanitation, personal hygiene and basic health and safety precautions applicable to work in a hospital
- Infection control procedures and safety precautions
- Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking. Heavy lifting and the ability to transport stretcher and wheelchair patients to various hospital locations may be required
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Document and communicate pertinent information using computer and/or paper documentation tools
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients and hospital staff
- Knowledge of the organization and physical layout of the hospital
- Pre-employment Physical Capacity Testing required
- Current Nurse Aide I Registry listing with the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services Division of Health Service Regulation
- High School Diploma or higher
- BLS certification must be maintained/completed by the end of new hire orientation, which typically takes place during the first week of employment.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department. Nearest Major Market:
Durham Nearest Secondary Market: