Data is the new currency of the digital world, and Microsoft is uniquely positioned to help business and consumers get the most out of theirs. With the leading database in the world - SQL Server, and the up and coming Azure data platform, Microsoft has made an enormous bet on cloud-based platform components that companies will need to derive knowledge and insights from big data and analytics in the cloud.
We're looking for design leaders whose work reflect a passion for helping people get emotionally attached to software. Creative impact at this scale is rare and is an enormous opportunity for the right candidate. Come join us!
You would be joining the Azure Data UX team of designers and researchers whose charter is to design end-to-end experiences for data professionals that are useful, usable, and desirable.
Your work will happen in the context of an agile development environment supporting the release cadence of teams as well as helping define the strategic direction of products. You will have access to a brand new, state of the art, modern research lab facility equipped for a variety of research types located in a central hub area on campus.
This position could be yours if:
• You have an affinity for research that leads to cohesive experiences across multiple, complex back-end services, a track record for customer advocacy, and a sensible and thorough pursuit of delivering delight in end-to-end experiences.
• You have a thirst for solving design and design research problems at all levels, are a strong, collaborative design professional who enjoys wearing many hats, inspires designers, and is a capable storyteller
• You have demonstrated ability to effectively partner with product owners and development team members to shepherd end to end experiences
• You are curious, collaborator, communicator and contributor
• Design and conduct research to understand customer needs and interactions for current and future products
• Effectively communicate and evangelize insights and help to drive solutions
• Develop comprehensive research plans to drive strategic user research across product lifecycles
• Collaborate with designers to deliver outstanding experiences
• Partner with designers, program management, and other stakeholders to prioritize research
• Illustrate expertise and practice in user-centered design, including the creation of personas, scenarios.
• Bachelor's degree in human-computer interaction or Design or Fine Art or Architecture or Engineering or Marketing or in place of 3+ years of internship or 2+ years of industry design research experience
• At least 5+ years of industry experience working in user research with a proven track record of turning research findings into actionable recommendations for engineering and business stakeholders
• Experience with a broad range of research methodology (usability studies, interviews, surveys, site visits, user modeling, card sorting, etc.)
• A working knowledge of research methods including experimental design, generating research plans, defining and tracking user experience metrics, data analyses (qual and quant), data synthesis, and coordinating work on multiple products/releases
• Excellent written and oral communication skills to evangelize insights, help to drive solutions and engage different stakeholders and senior leadership
• Project management skills to prioritize research needs and ensure its successful completion
• Experience with and interest in a complex space such as commercial audience, education, CRM or other business-to-business tools and applications
• Added bonus would be expertise and hands on experience working with multiple data sets such as telemetry, sentiment, and unstructured data sets and combining them with qualitative insights to paint a holistic picture
• Polished visual presentation skills.
Portfolio review is required
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.