Proposed Faculty Rank
Assistant Professor (Clinical)Department
00166 - College of Social WorkCity
Salt Lake City, UTTrack
Non Tenure TrackNew Position to Begin
The University of Utah, College of Social Work invites applications for a 0.83 FTE 10-month Career-line faculty position (August 1st to May 31st) at the rank of Assistant Professor (Clinical) to teach and facilitate integration of social work curriculum in field and to develop and maintain quality practicum placements. This is a non-tenure track position intended to be a long-term position within the University's Career-Line Faculty structure, with a renewable contract.Qualifications:
Applicants must have an MSW degree from a CSWE -accredited program and at least three years of professional social work experience. Strong Candidates will have:
- Extensive knowledge of local social service agencies, systems and social work roles
- Extensive experience at a range of social service agencies
- Excellent communication, problem solving & organizational skills
- Experience working well independently & collaboratively
- Experience as a field instructor or providing social work supervision to interns
- Social work teaching experience
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
College, University, and Environment:
- Student Placement:
- Work with up to 60 students to develop individualized plans of practicum placements in the MSW program and participate in the placement process of those students.
- Student Liaisonship:
- Advise and consult with up to 60 students and their field instructors on a regular basis to assist them in maximizing their field education experience.
- Schedule and meet with each student and their field instructor at the practicum agency and through teleconference to build relationships, assess and address student and agency needs, bridge curriculum and field and support the student and instructor in field education and professional development.
- Manage crisis and problem solve when needed by collaborating with students, field instructors, other faculty and administration.
- Documentation & evaluation of student and practicum.
- Travel in Salt Lake, Summit, Tooele, Utah, Davis and Weber Counties.
- Other Practicum Duties:
- Provide placement and liaisonship for students who want to do optional placements.
- Plan and participate in placement meetings.
- Develop & conduct practicum fairs, field education workshops, new field instructor trainings and other seminars to orient and train students and field instructors on topics related to field education.
- Participate and collaborate with Practicum Team.
- Review new practicum agency and field instructors' applications
- Develop and cultivate effective practicum partnerships with agencies and field instructors.
- Teach practicum seminars
- Other Faculty Duties:
- Participate on other committees at the CSW and the University of Utah in order to contribute to developing and implementing policies and programs.
- Participate in activities that promote field education, social work and the relationship of the College of Social Work with local, national, and/or international institutions.
- Contribute to the development and/or application of social work knowledge through research and conference presentation and attendance as appropriate.
The University of Utah has been classified by the Carnegie Foundation among the 115 research universities with the "highest research activity" in the nation and is the flagship of the Utah System of Higher Education. The University is located in Salt Lake City at the foot of the Wasatch Mountains. This location offers unparalleled opportunities for outdoor recreation, with ten world-class ski resorts and five national parks within hours of the city. Salt Lake City is the center of a metropolitan area with a population of approximately one million residents, has extensive arts and cultural activities, and has a major international airport with a Delta Airlines hub and direct flights to most U.S. cities and direct international flights to Paris, London, Amsterdam, and Mexico City. The area has received international recognition for its new light rail system, foodie culture, downtown renewal, and increasing diversity. In 2017, U.S News and World report ranked Salt Lake City as the 10th best place to live in the nation.
The College of Social Work ( CSW ), established in 1937, is the only institution in the Intermountain West that offers all three degrees in social work: BSW, MSW, and PhD. The CSW houses a number of research entities providing faculty and students research opportunities and support for locating and managing external funding including: the Social Research Institute; the Center on Mindfulness and Integrative Health Intervention Development; the Utah Criminal Justice Center; the Center for Research on Migration & Refugee Integration; and the Goodwill Initiative on Aging. Currently, CSW faculty are conducting a number of federally funded, state-funded, and foundation-funded translational social research projects to advance social work research and innovate evidence-based practices for vulnerable populations in need. The College's Goodwill Humanitarian Building features state-of-the-art clinical training suites equipped with one-way mirrors and audio-visual technology for real-time clinical supervision and feedback, as well as a sophisticated psychophysiology lab for cutting-edge social work neuroscience.EEO/Diversity Information
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon race, national origin, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, status as a person with a disability, genetic information, or Protected Veteran status. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Veterans' preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. To inquire about the University's nondiscrimination or affirmative action policies or to request disability accommodation, please contact: Director, Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Circle, Rm 135, (801) 581-8365.
The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in settings with students from diverse backgrounds, and possess a strong commitment to improving access to higher education for historically underrepresented students.Notice
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (" URS "). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS' post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen and immunizations.Special Instructions for CandidatesApplication Process:
Candidates must submit a letter of application detailing their interest and qualifications; a full curriculum vitae; and a list of three professional references. Candidates with teaching experience are asked to provide copies of recent teaching evaluations. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Inquiries regarding the position may be directed to Jamuna Jones, Director of Field Education (firstname.lastname@example.org). The College of Social Work website is located at http://www.socialwork.utah.edu.Open Date
03/27/2020Close DateOpen Until Filled